Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 9

Slow Traveler

Barb - that sounds good (as does the dinner you whipped up for Palma and Brad!)
    Jerry

The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see. ~G.K. Chesterton

Blog: A Life, Lived
    [URL=http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1062] Taste of the Windy City Trip

Slow Traveler
    Thanks Jerry! Happy belated birthday! When's your next trip to Italy? We've got to get together for some serious cooking...I'm LOVING your blog!

Slow Traveler

Seattle for now...Mexico in Feb then England for a good long stay....
    Well it is still very warm here in Seattle, (waay too humid for me) so tonite a cheese, tomato and basil omlette with green salad and my homemade blue cheese dressing I made yesterday. Yum!

Slow Traveler

Barb - we'll be in Italy for three weeks next May and June! It would be great fun to have a GTG.
    Jerry

The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see. ~G.K. Chesterton

Blog: A Life, Lived
    [URL=http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1062] Taste of the Windy City Trip

Slow Traveler
    I just checked in looking for some new dinner ideas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think, I'll stop at the fish market tonight and have fresh steamed Maine Lobster with homemade strawberry shortcake.....yum oh! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sooo jealous!! I love Maine lobster!! I think it must be about 10 years or more since I have had a Maine lobster. I can or at least could years ago eat tons of it. I even won a bet with a big football player size guy that I could eat more lobster than he could back in college. He ate 8, I ate 9.

Strawberry shortcake also sounds yummy.

It is hot here. I made a quick dinner of stir fried peppers, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes in olive oil with some pesto and freshly grated parmigiano cheese on top along with easy to microwave Alexia oven fries. It was good but lobster would have been better...

Slow Traveler
    Altho I know this is no big deal to most of you, last night we had FAJITAS!!!!! Thanks to Palma, who surprised us with tortillas, chilies, and CHEDDAR CHEESSE, we had a feast last night. We invited our friend Wendy and a friend of hers who had never eaten Mexican food. We had home-made salsa and chips, along with some hot pepper jelly our friend Leone made when she was here on vacation in April.

It was a great meal, made possible in part by the generosity of ST friends. Thanks y'all!

Slow Traveler

Last night I made grilled rib-eye steaks with grilled summer squash and grilled corn. It was a perfect weahter day here in Main e in the mid 80's with no humidity!

Slow Traveler

WOW, I guess I have to bring this discussion back to life. Last night I made delicious grilled pork tenderloin, roasted corn on the cob, and baby red potatoes. Not sure whats for dinner tonight!

Slow Traveler

Last night was a rack of pork which I covered in dijon mustard, garlic and rosemary paste and roasted to perfection! I made english roasted potatoes, with roasted carrots and brussel sprouts and onions and pork gravy!

My husband made a delicious saute of apples, pears, golden raisins, cinnamon stick, butter and balsamic, which we covered in Bird's english custard, probably shouldn't have it was good on its own but that custard....yummmm

Tonite will be leftover pork with cauliflower cheese and peas...

Slow Traveler

Lesfaye, This is so funny because we had a roasted rack of lamb with the same type of marinade. I used the Barefoot Contessa recipe and because we just had one small rack I halved the recipe but should have used even less salt. Other than that it was very tasty.

I made orzo and mixed veggies with it. For dessert a glass of vin santo and cookies.

Slow Traveler

So...there is no pepper jelly in Italy? How can they have a party without the ubiquitous pepper jelly, cream cheese on crackers appetizer? It's not the most sophisticated, but it's a flavor combo that is like comfort food to me.

We had a roasted vegetable, pasta dish made with the new Barilla multigrain penne. I cut a variety of vegetables, such as eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, onions, and zucchini into one inch dice, tossed with olive oil flavored with garlic, added some S&P, baked on a parchment lines sheet at 450 for about 30 min.

When the pasta was cooked, I tossed it with some baby spinach which kind of wilted, added some diced tomatoes that I warmed in the microwave and stirred in the roasted vegetables and a generous amount of minced basil and parsley. At the end, I added some pasta water and a little more of my flavored oil. Topped with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, it was better than it sounds!

Pat

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eccomi:
    it was better than it sounds! Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Then it must be fantastic because it sounds pretty darn good to me.
    I've shyed away from the multigrain pastas. How did you like it?
    Deborah Horn
    In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
    -----------------------------------
    www.petsburg.com
    [url=http://www.slowtrav.com/bl

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ann M:
    Lesfaye, This is so funny because we had a roasted rack of lamb with the same type of marinade. I used the Barefoot Contessa recipe and because we just had one small rack I halved the recipe but should have used even less salt. Other than that it was very tasty.

I made orzo and mixed veggies with it. For dessert a glass of vin santo and cookies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Anne, yes it was Barefoot Contessa and you know I never put salt in with the marinade I know she does that alot. I just sprinkled a bit on the meat before I put it in the oven.

She adds salt to the marinade but if it turns out to be too much then your dish could be ruined.

YOur orzo sounded great, I love that stuff and I always forget about it.

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deborah:
    I've shyed away from the multi grain pastas. How did you like it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deb, in my granola days I tried to eat whole wheat pasta and it weighed a ton, but this Barilla multi grain stuff was much more palatable. Do I prefer regular, semolina pasta? of course, but this was edible.

My recipe sorta came from the Wegman's newest magazine. It might be available online, but really...it was simple enough.

Pat

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My husband made a delicious saute of apples, pears, golden raisins, cinnamon stick, butter and balsamic, which we covered in Bird's english custard, probably shouldn't have it was good on its own but that custard....yummmm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last night first crumble of the season - apple and blackberry- with the above mentioned custard. Nothing to get too excited about you may think, but I now finally have a semi-functioning kitchen (temporary worktops and no extractor fan or splashbacks, so easy on the open sauteing) and it was so good to cook real homemade food. Preceded by a spicy vegetable cassserole. The family were delighted to have familiar tasting food again!

Slow Traveler

Last night some friends and I did some grilling at the lake. Marinated & grilled steak with Greek herbs....delish, with roasted potatoes and grilled jalapeños. I'm still thinking about this meal this morning!

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Panda:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My husband made a delicious saute of apples, pears, golden raisins, cinnamon stick, butter and balsamic, which we covered in Bird's english custard, probably shouldn't have it was good on its own but that custard....yummmm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last night first crumble of the season - apple and blackberry- with the above mentioned custard. Nothing to get too excited about you may think, but I now finally have a semi-functioning kitchen (temporary worktops and no extractor fan or splashbacks, so easy on the open sauteing) and it was so good to cook real homemade food. Preceded by a spicy vegetable cassserole. The family were delighted to have familiar tasting food again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Panda, that is my husbands favorite combo, apple and blackberry, don't suppose you've give us your recipe?

We were in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and wandered into this little store and they had Birds custard and also canned Birds custard and Ambrosia Rice pudding so we bought four cans and then realized when we were packing that we could not put them in our carry on. Gutted!

We did not want to check our luggage on this trip as it was a holiday weekend and good job we didn't seeing the queue's of people waiting to check in..so we left those lovely cans on the countertop in the apartment we rented, hope somebody enjoyed them

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Healthy and delicious dinner tonite - my son has fixed this for us a couple of times - but as he was at work, I decided to wing it.

I had a couple of lovely pieces of tilapia, which I dredged lightly in seasoned flour. Then I heated a little olive oil in a saute pan, added a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, softened them, then added about 1 cup of wonderful fresh dry farmed tomatoes from our local produce market - sweet, juicy and wonderful. I raised the heat to cook and almost caramelize the tomatoes, then added the filets, turned the heat down to med. and added about a cup of chopped parsley. Let the fish cook until it was "finger test" ready -- served with steamed broccoli and microwave cooked brown rice from Trader Joe's -- and ate too much.

Just as I was scraping up the last bite it occured to me I should have taken a picture! Ah well - next time.

Judy

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Scotch.
    Amy in MA
    Destination Anywhere

"A traveler without knowledge is a bird without wings."--Sa'di, Gulistan (1258)

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    LOL - I gave Amy a very bad idea .

Chili tonight - yumm. Tomorrow pork chops -was going to do them on our new grill but I think it's supposed to rain, so probably indoors instead.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Crab dip and panna cotta!

Slow Traveler

Last night I made homemade seafood alfredo with fresh tagliatella. I am staying with my mom and nursing her broken pelvis, so I enjoy cooking for her.

Slow Traveler

Tonite is marinated flank steak in Tamari Soy w/Lemon and garlic. The Barefoot Contessa's Orzo with roasted vegetables,feta and basil.

Slow Traveler

Thanks to Palma -and the leftovers of my sage chicken- I had fajitas last night.

Goood!
    www.il-girasole.com

"Your mind not only wanders, it sometime leaves completely..."

Slow Traveler
    We had yet another Mexican fiesta on Sunday, with many thanks to all our vistors who've brought us various ingredients! First, we started off with margaritas! I added strawberries to mine, but everyone had had 'regular', then we moved on to dinner....I skipped the chips because I knew it would be too much!

We had chicken fajitas with cheddar cheese compliments of Janet and Stephen (Having English cheddar on fajitas in Italy really made it international!). We also had Mexican rice made with taco seasoning brought by Jill and Larry (and recipe thanks to Marguerite!) and refried beans thanks to Jane and Ken who left them for us.

Dessert was chocolate brownies made with espresso Liqueur and covered with cream cheese frosting.

All in all it was a truly delicious, decadent feast!

Slow Traveler

Barb, plan your mexican fiestas after a trip here.
    We buy this at the local grocery store.
    We must be very internationalized as even the Coop carries most of stuff, not mentioning the Esselunga in Arezzo.
    Cheddar -both qualities-can be found here in a food shop just outside town.
    They carry Corned beef and sour cream and a lot of stuff, included sushi rice, indian ingredients and all.

Have to be said that the population of "local foreigners" here is quite extensive.

There is a Pakistani market in Arezzo where I buy my dirtiest spices

I often do Chili and mexican food. The Taco mixes and fajita mixes I find them here. Cheddar is a little more difficult thing, but now the little store carry it -not always though.

But I have my US friends that pamper me with their delicacies!

Thanks Palma!
    www.il-girasole.com

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Mexican food... yum! I missed it so much during my 7 weeks in France that I think I ate it every night last week. But I'm satisfied finally.

Now on to Fall food. We had a frost last night here north of Seattle so I made Roasted tomato soup and Fontina mushroom sandwiches. They were both very yummy but I think I like this tomato soup better (minus the bacon). I also bought a butternut squash. I think it is time for butternut squash lasagna.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I had a flashback to my New Jersey teen years, and made something I haven't eaten in probably 30 years. We used to go to a wonderful Greek diner on old Route 22, where they made these fabulous pita sandwiches filled with sauteed peppers, onions, potatoes and spicy sausage.

I sauteed sliced onions and multicolored peppers in olive oil until they were very soft and beginning to brown. I removed them from the skillet, and then sauteed sliced new potatoes until lightly browned and crisp. Tossed these in the bowl with the peppers and onions, and then a package of Trader Joe's spicy chicken sausage got sliced and had its turn in the pan. Threw all the vegetables back in, seasoned to taste with salt, lots of black pepper, and spooned it into warmed pita bread.

Delicious.
    Amy in MA
    Destination Anywhere

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Continuing with the fall theme, I went to one of our local farmers market today. I found an interesting looking squash - Carnival squash. They said it was similar to a cross between an Acorn and Delicata squashes. I cut it in half and baked it. Then I stuffed it with a mixture of brown basmati rice, sauteed onions, sage, dried cranberries and walnuts. Topped with parmesan cheese and reheated. It was delish! I served it with a beet, walnut and goat cheese salad.

Yesterday we drove over to the orchards in Eastern Washington and brought back some fresh baking apples. For dessert, we have a fresh apple tart waiting. Topped with local vanilla ice cream - it is helping me ease into fall.

Why am I looking at this? I don't know. The other day came to me a flash of revelation that cooking and delicious food and how one's skirts fit were connected!

This has happened just as I begin work on copying a delicious Sardegnan risotto I ate 3 times in one month in Florence. Can you make 1/2 cup of risotto at a time?

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Mushroom focaccia last night. A mixture of sliced portabellas, shitakes, white buttons, and dried porcini sauteed in oil with a bit of garlic; some local mozzerella; and pizza dough from Whole Foods.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Amy in MA
    Destination Anywhere

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Company's coming so:

Appetizer platter of:
    Grilled Foccacia topped with sliced pears & goat cheese
    Hazelnut-crusted Halibut with Apple Saute
    Green Salad with Crumbled Blue Cheese & Pomengranate & a pomegranate vinaigrette dressing
    Corn Bread baked in a Skillet
    Hazelnut Torte

Just realized there is a hazelnut theme going on here. The halibut recipe is from the Seattle Junior League cookbook that Ann M gave us for the Vancouver GTG. Corn bread may be a bit dry for the meal but darnit, I FELT like having corn bread. I've been using a bottled pomegranate concentrate/syrup lately, available in middle eastern markets. It's very tart and can be used to replace part of the vinegar in salad dressings, adds a fruity flavour to the dressing.
    Back to the foccacia, OMG, I forgot it's in the oven.

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Judith in Umbria:
    Can you make 1/2 cup of risotto at a time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you can't... or better, yes you can!

Start with one quarter of onion, sliced, add a teaspoonful of butter and few drops of EVOO.
    Put in the base of your risotto -if it is mashroomS, make it mushroom. Whatever- just put much less than usual.
    when it is ready add one tablespoon of white wine, and when it is evaporated, the rice,

Whe you add the stock or broth, add a two or three tablespoon at the time, stir once and then cover until the liquid is absorbed, add more, stir cover, untill it is almost ready, whe you add the last stock, add also a teaspoon of butter, one tablespoon of parmesan cheese, stir well and cover.
    then eat it.

Voilà risotto per uno!
    www.il-girasole.com

Ale, you can't make less than 1 cup. Especially when you are developing a new recipe. What's for dinner?

Anything but risotto with vinegared pork!

Slow Traveler

Judith you are right, I was just trying to give a hand, I never did it for less than 4 people anyway.

Actually I had zafferano risotto with truffle shaves last evening,and Marino -my hubby- got upset because it wasn't enough.

Ok, tonight it will be clams and mussels sauteed and bass on the oven.

It is a promise to my daughter
    www.il-girasole.com

I made some that was too salty the other night, so I poached an egg in plain water and topped the risotto with it. It worked.

I've been a bit discombobulated by trying not to waste food while working on this one risotto recipe, which is a bit unlike all the usual ones, so I would have loved to find I could make tiny amounts and still be able to expand the recipe to 4 or more people. The problem, of course, is that if you use tiny bits, they don't necessarily translate up, so you really have to start with at least 125 ml or 1/2 cup of the raw rice. Which means endless meals of variations on the same quite pronounced dish.

Slow Traveler

Plus, risotto is one of those dishes that is better if eaten with friends!

Or, make a "normal amount for 2 or 3 people and make rice balls with the left overs.

When the risotto is cold, make small balls, pass them in flour, beated eggs and then bread crumbles, then deep fry them.

Some add beated eggs to the cld risotto, but I never did it.
    www.il-girasole.com

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I had a lovely swiss chard pie for lunch one day while I was at the Institut of Francais. I've been thinking about making some type of swiss chard torte or quiche. Tonight I made Deborah Madison's Swiss chard and Saffron Tart and it was soooo good. It is from the Green's Cookbook but you can find a copy and picture on Wednesday Chef's blog. The yeasted tart dough was really good and very easy. It just took a little extra time to rise. It was very easy to work with and press into the 10" tart pan. I could only find ruby chard at the store and the bunch was a little small so I didn't have as much chard as the recipe suggested but it was still really really good. We have half left over for tomorrow.

I served it with a salad made lettuce, bitter greens, goat cheese, walnuts and beets (yep, I'm still eating the beets). For dessert, I made a cherry pie.

Slow Traveler

Not only does the tart look delicious, the description makes it so tempting. That looks like a fun blog to follow. Thanks for posting it.

I'm so proud of myself for making a proper dinner last night, although, I was reluctant to mess up the kitchen. It took a better part of the day to clean it, since I'm still running on empty.

I made Tilapia Piccata, a recipe I've mentioned before, and served it with a mound of sauteed spinach and some jasmine rice. I just love that combo of flavors...and I made enough for a leftover portion, too.

Simple pleasures.

Pat

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I'm using my turkey stock, lots of vegetables, and have this soup on the stove--Sephardic Matzoh Ball Soup. It's very peppery, smells amazing, and should do a great job of helping to clear out the cold I feel coming on! Nice for a rainy night.
    Amy in MA
    Destination Anywhere

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alessandra Federici:
    Plus, risotto is one of those dishes that is better if eaten with friends!

Or, make a "normal amount for 2 or 3 people and make rice balls with the left overs.

When the risotto is cold, make small balls, pass them in flour, beated eggs and then bread crumbles, then deep fry them.

Some add beated eggs to the cld risotto, but I never did it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We mix in the egg with the cold risotto,and also add a dab of cheese inside the ball.

Tonight we had shrimp and crab bisque plus black bean zucchini cakes. I had the cakes at a friend's house and loved them.

Slow Traveler

Ok,
    tonight risotto again, maybe with radicchio rosso and truffle sausage.

I'll do some simple skillet chicken and puntarelle.

I have a couple of IKEA overwhelmed people to take care about -aka Tania VonB and he r hubby.
    www.il-girasole.com