Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I think my computer is getting ready to bite the dust. I'm doing daily backups now just in case. But I've got so many sites that I have on my Favorites lists that I would really like to print them out so I don't have to reinvent the wheel when I get my new computer.

Does anybody know how to do this? What I've done in the past (and started doing again last night) is to copy the URL, paste it into an email document addressed to my other yahoo box and then click on them to open and save after we get the new computer set up.

Just to simply print out a list would be soooooooo much easier!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I think my computer is getting ready to bite the dust. I'm doing daily backups now just in case. But I've got so many sites that I have on my Favorites lists that I would really like to print them out so I don't have to reinvent the wheel when I get my new computer.

Does anybody know how to do this? What I've done in the past (and started doing again last night) is to copy the URL, paste it into an email document addressed to my other yahoo box and then click on them to open and save after we get the new computer set up.

Just to simply print out a list would be soooooooo much easier!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Hi Earline, there's a much easier way..

In your Documents and Settings folder, under your user name folder, there will be a folder called "Favorites". Simply copy that out to a disk and then when you get your new computer, you can copy it back into your user folder. It will replicate all your current Favorites. (You can also do the same thing with the Cookies folder, which I like to do because there are so many sites where you will have to re-enter all your data or re-log in (like SlowTrav!) On the other hand, sometimes its nice to start with a clean slate--that's up to you.)

(note this presumes you are using Internet Explorer--if you are using Firefox the location of your bookmarks is different.)
    Janet
    My photos of Italy, Birds, and other travels:
    www.jczinn.com
    Travel Note: Travelling with a Digital Camera

Slow Traveler

I never succeeded finding the location of the bookmarks in Firefox..... any clue?
    Thank you!
    Giulia
    Locanda della Valle Nuova
    ST Classifieds: Locanda della Valle Nuova apartments and [URL=http://www.slowtrav.com/cl/detail.asp?l=1887] organic

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Another option is to export them from IE. That will give you a file that will have all your bookmarks as clickable links. There is one additional step to print the actual link in addition to the title. This Microsoft knowledgebase article details how to export and how to go to the Option tab on Print to "Print a table of Links" which will also print the url addresses of all your bookmarks.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

For Firefox, your bookmarks are stored in a file called bookmarks.html. These are kept in your profile folder on your pc. This is typically located at c:\documents and settings\<logon name>. That is the base of your profile, now go to the folder Application Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles. Here will be a strange named folder such as 9kuy15d1.default. In this folder is the bookmarks.html. For example, mine is at
    C:\documents and settings\marta\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9kuy15d1.default

Note, this can be difficult to find because the folder Application Data is hidden by default because it is considered a system folder. You will probably not see if if you browse or search. You'll have to turn on display hidden folders to find it. You can turn on hidden folders from Tools menu > Folder Options > View tab, Select Show hidden files and folders.

Slow Traveler

For firefox, go to Bookmarks --> Manage Bookmarks,
    then File --> Export.

Steve

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

The new computer arrived and I decided I would print a list of my Favorites as we discussed above. I printed out the instructions on the Microsoft Knowledge Base but, unfortunately, the instructions are for IE5.0 and I now have IE7 installed.

There is no longer a "File" option on the toolbar. How do I get to the Import and Export option?

Man, it's always something!

In IE7 in the upper left of your toolbar you should see a gold star which is your favorites list. Next to that icon is a star and a plus icon. Click on it and you will see the export favorites option.

pete

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Thanks, Pete. When I went back into IE, there was the File option on the tool bar. I must have turned it off when I was madly clicking all over the screen trying to find something familiar.

I just finished the export. It was so easy! (finally)