Slow Traveler

Carabinieri (militar police, usually black uniform with red stripes) are often the subject of Italian jokes attributing them very stupid behaviour.

Actually carabinieri are often better trained than ordinary police (several kind of uniforms, usually with greyish blue trousers), often much more helpful and nicer - in the unfortunate case you need assistance in Italy I advice you to ignore police and head straight to the nearest Carabinieri station. However, Carabinieri jokes are such an Italian tradition that I must stick to it for my 1000th post.

A Maresciallo (station commander) calls the appuntato (low level officer).
    "Appuntato, have a look to the car's turn blinking lights and check if they work."
    "Maresciallo, they work. No, they don't. No, they do. No, they don't. No, they do. No, they don't. Now they do......"

Two carabinieri are acting as mounted police.
    "Antonio, how are we going to remember tomorrow which horse is mine and which is yours?"
    "No worry, Pasquale, my horse has a little shorter tail."

The following day they are not able to remember which is which.

"Antonio, how are we going to remember tomorrow which horse is mine and which is yours?"
    "No worry, Pasquale, my horse has a little shorter mane."

The following day, again, they are not able to remember which is which.

"Pasquale, tomorrow I'll take the white horse and you'll take the black one."

A carabiniere at the railway ticket office.
    "Give me a ticket for Reggio, please."
    "Reggio Emilia or Reggio Calabria?"
    "It is the same, they are going to wait me at the station."

"Maresciallo, we have no more place in the station archive. May we trash documents older than ten years?"
    "Yes, do it, but make photocopies first."

An appuntato has been ordered to go and buy newspapers daily for the maresciallo. In order to save time, he decides to buy seven copies of the Monday issue and give him one each day for the whole week.

The Maresciallo: "Appuntato, and they say carabinieri are the stupid ones! Here is a fellow crashing his car against the same pole each day since Monday!"

"Maresciallo, somebody stole our car."
    "Did you see the thief?"
    "No, but we took the plate number."
    Luca Logi aka itarchivarius

Slow Traveler

Carabinieri (militar police, usually black uniform with red stripes) are often the subject of Italian jokes attributing them very stupid behaviour.

Actually carabinieri are often better trained than ordinary police (several kind of uniforms, usually with greyish blue trousers), often much more helpful and nicer - in the unfortunate case you need assistance in Italy I advice you to ignore police and head straight to the nearest Carabinieri station. However, Carabinieri jokes are such an Italian tradition that I must stick to it for my 1000th post.

A Maresciallo (station commander) calls the appuntato (low level officer).
    "Appuntato, have a look to the car's turn blinking lights and check if they work."
    "Maresciallo, they work. No, they don't. No, they do. No, they don't. No, they do. No, they don't. Now they do......"

Two carabinieri are acting as mounted police.
    "No worry, Pasquale, my horse has a little shorter tail."

The following day they are not able to remember which is which.

"No worry, Pasquale, my horse has a little shorter mane."

The following day, again, they are not able to remember which is which.

"Pasquale, tomorrow I'll take the white horse and you'll take the black one."

A carabiniere at the railway ticket office.
    "Give me a ticket for Reggio, please."
    "Reggio Emilia or Reggio Calabria?"
    "It is the same, they are going to wait me at the station."

"Maresciallo, we have no more place in the station archive. May we trash documents older than ten years?"
    "Yes, do it, but make photocopies first."

An appuntato has been ordered to go and buy newspapers daily for the maresciallo. In order to save time, he decides to buy seven copies of the Monday issue and give him one each day for the whole week.

The Maresciallo: "Appuntato, and they say carabinieri are the stupid ones! Here is a fellow crashing his car against the same pole each day since Monday!"

"Maresciallo, somebody stole our car."
    "Did you see the thief?"
    "No, but we took the plate number."
    Luca Logi aka itarchivarius

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Thank you, Luca, for the entertainment, and also for 1000 posts, all very informative. In years past I thought that there is a requirement that all Carabinieri be about 7 feet tall. In the last few years I noticed that the height requirements have softened up a bit and I figured that they found better fortune playing basketball...

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Luca, those are all priceless! Poor carabinieri -- so misunderstood.

Also, I am overjoyed to finally see another joke. I had wondered out loud what had happened to all our jokes and you have made my day by showing that the custom lives.

Thank you.