Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Hello,

I'm in Umbertide, settling in. I took the direct train from Rome where I couldn't find the full information online, so here I feel like giving the skinny. For the train from Rome to Umbertide leaving at 12.30, the Trenitalia site shows two changes, but the Ferrovia Centrale Umbra www.fcu.it shows it as a direct train running Monday through Friday. The ticketing machines at Termini wouldn't sell the tickets, I went to the line for more complicated tickets and the agent said he couldn't sell it, I said there's a direct train and he went back to find out. The story was I just bought a ticket to Terni, on the Trenitalia line, then when it moves to the FCU line the conductor sells the ticket for that segment with no surcharge.

It leaves from track 1, so a waiting room is right next to that, and just shows a destination of Perugia S. Anna, but it does in fact continue north of there, I found out when I bought the ticket from the FCU conductor. So the most interesting parts of the schedule are: leaves Roma Termini 12.30, Roma Tiburtina 12.38, arrives Todi Ponte Rio 14.19, Perugia S. Anna 15.00, Umbertide 16.09, Città di Castello 16.33, Sansepolcro 16.51. Roma Tiburtina is useful if connecting from the airport or if you're staying convenient to Ostiense or Trastevere stations. On Friday the train was sparsely occupied. S. Anna is arguably a better station to arrive than Fontivegge, known simply as Perugia on the Trenitalia site. S. Anna is more central and offers a more scenic rail approach but has fewer services. I would submit that this is better than the direct Trenitalia regionale leaving Rome 12.14, arriving Perugia Fontivegge at 14.50. So let me try to give numbered instructions, GAC-style, although I may be forgetting something.

If taking this train, leaving Roma Termini at 12.30

1. At Termini, buy a ticket to Terni (€5.73) from the self-service machines or newsstand. This train does not take reservations.

2. Go to track 1, the destination is marked Perugia S. Anna; if the train isn't open yet, you may sit in the waiting room. Validate the ticket in the yellow machine.

3. Board the train. This is modern comfortable train stock.

4. After Terni, an FCU conductor will come around; tell him/her your destination and he/she will sell you a ticket: €4.30 to Umbertide.

5. It takes extra time around Perugia if you're going farther north. After going to Perugia S. Anna, it goes back to Ponte S. Giovanni, where it's already been; don't be alarmed at that.

For the return, the direct train leaves Umbertide at 6.40 a.m., but you can also leave at 7.02 and connect to that train at Ponte S. Giovanni at 7.45, arriving Rome 10.10. I suspect that the FCU ticket agent would be able to sell a ticket for the Trenitalia segment, but I'm not sure of that. On the FCU train, one validates the ticket on the train, not the platform.

So, it's a useful train that you don't find on the Trenitalia site. For that region, there's also the bus line showing at www.sulga.it , some of the Todi buses go to the center of town while the train station is in the valley below.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Hello,

I'm in Umbertide, settling in. I took the direct train from Rome where I couldn't find the full information online, so here I feel like giving the skinny. For the train from Rome to Umbertide leaving at 12.30, the Trenitalia site shows two changes, but the Ferrovia Centrale Umbra www.fcu.it shows it as a direct train running Monday through Friday. The ticketing machines at Termini wouldn't sell the tickets, I went to the line for more complicated tickets and the agent said he couldn't sell it, I said there's a direct train and he went back to find out. The story was I just bought a ticket to Terni, on the Trenitalia line, then when it moves to the FCU line the conductor sells the ticket for that segment with no surcharge.

It leaves from track 1, so a waiting room is right next to that, and just shows a destination of Perugia S. Anna, but it does in fact continue north of there, I found out when I bought the ticket from the FCU conductor. So the most interesting parts of the schedule are: leaves Roma Termini 12.30, Roma Tiburtina 12.38, arrives Todi Ponte Rio 14.19, Perugia S. Anna 15.00, Umbertide 16.09, Città di Castello 16.33, Sansepolcro 16.51. Roma Tiburtina is useful if connecting from the airport or if you're staying convenient to Ostiense or Trastevere stations. On Friday the train was sparsely occupied. S. Anna is arguably a better station to arrive than Fontivegge, known simply as Perugia on the Trenitalia site. S. Anna is more central and offers a more scenic rail approach but has fewer services. I would submit that this is better than the direct Trenitalia regionale leaving Rome 12.14, arriving Perugia Fontivegge at 14.50. So let me try to give numbered instructions, GAC-style, although I may be forgetting something.

If taking this train, leaving Roma Termini at 12.30

1. At Termini, buy a ticket to Terni (€5.73) from the self-service machines or newsstand. This train does not take reservations.

2. Go to track 1, the destination is marked Perugia S. Anna; if the train isn't open yet, you may sit in the waiting room. Validate the ticket in the yellow machine.

3. Board the train. This is modern comfortable train stock.

4. After Terni, an FCU conductor will come around; tell him/her your destination and he/she will sell you a ticket: €4.30 to Umbertide.

5. It takes extra time around Perugia if you're going farther north. After going to Perugia S. Anna, it goes back to Ponte S. Giovanni, where it's already been; don't be alarmed at that.

For the return, the direct train leaves Umbertide at 6.40 a.m., but you can also leave at 7.02 and connect to that train at Ponte S. Giovanni at 7.45, arriving Rome 10.10. I suspect that the FCU ticket agent would be able to sell a ticket for the Trenitalia segment, but I'm not sure of that. On the FCU train, one validates the ticket on the train, not the platform.

So, it's a useful train that you don't find on the Trenitalia site. For that region, there's also the bus line showing at www.sulga.it , some of the Todi buses go to the center of town while the train station is in the valley below.

Slow Traveler

A couple of railfan curiosities. This train is the only diesel stock running regularly on a section of the fast railway line ("Direttissima") north of Rome. It will not last for long as FCU is planning to resume electric services in the future. In the meantime they have ordered other DMU units to add extra services to/from Rome.

Also, the railway ramp between Perugia P.S. Giovanni and S.Anna is the steepest railway ramp in Italy.

(For Italian railfans, there is an article on this train on the magazine "Tuttotreno", June issue).
    Luca Logi aka itarchivarius

Slow Traveler

That is most interesting. Is the cost comparable to the other train?

Is there a website for this?

I found this timetable on the fcu.it website:

Con l’entrata in vigore del nuovo orario ferroviario 2005/2006, dal 12 dicembre 2005, dal lunedi? al
    venerdi?, viene attivato un collegamento diretto SANSEPOLCRO-PERUGIA S.ANNA-ROMA
    TERMINI e ritorno con il seguente orario:

Roma Termini 12.30
    Terni 13.42
    Acquasparta 14.03
    Todi Ponte Rio 14.19
    Marsciano 14.30
    Perugia S. Anna 15.00
    Umbertide 16.09
    Citta? di Castello 16.33
    Sansepolcro 16.51
    RITORNO
    ANDATA
    Sansepolcro 6.00
    Citta? di Castello 6.18
    Umbertide 6.40
    Perugia S. Anna 7.30
    Marsciano 8.03
    Todi Ponte Rio 8.14
    Acquasparta 8.32
    Terni 8.58
    Roma Termini 10.10

Vi e? poi la possibilita? per la clientela dell’Alta Valle del Tevere di usufruire di un ulteriore
    collegamento per l’andata con cambio a Ponte San Giovanni, con il seguente orario:

Sansepolcro 6.21
    Citta? di Castello 6.40
    Umbertide 7.02
    Perugia Ponte S. Giovanni A 7.38
    Perugia Ponte S. Giovanni P 7.45
    Roma Termini 10.10

Nei giorni festivi il collegamento e? possibile solo da Perugia S. Anna, con cambio treno a Terni
    (partenza da Terni alle ore 8.54 anziche? alle ore 8.58)

Amministratore Unico
    Vannio Brozzi

Andrew, how brilliant! A cheap way to get to Rome, if not fast. I've been driving to Arezzo to get the early Eurostar and it is a lot more costly.
    Thanks.

Slow Traveler

Yes, it looks remarkably cheap, if one can trust the website. I don't really mind it not being terribly fast if it is a direct train, as one can read and sometimes work on the train; it is not wasted time. Glad to note that it goes up to decobabe's part of Umbria!

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Yes, lagatta, what you found is the one official Web mention of it that I know. One more thing to add is I found a sign at the Umbertide station confirming that the FCU stations sell tickets for the Trenitalia segment Terni-Rome, don't plan to buy it on the train because you risk a €25 penalty. One curiosity is that the sign said for most of the FCU towns to buy it at the station, but for Città di Castello it listed a travel agent instead, which presumably would not be open at the departure time of the train.

The agent is in the train station at C di C. The first train is at 5 something AM, and yes, they aren't open, so the conductor will sell you a ticket whenever the agency is closed. I have bought a ticket on the train a few times. No tix except FCU, however. If I am taking a longer trip I go the day ahead and they sell me everything I need.

Slow Traveler

Does that mean I'd have to get off at Terni (coming from Rome) and buy the ticket at the station there? That would be as bad as changing a at Foligno - worse, as there are fewer fcu trains. I'd seen Perugia S. Anna mentioned before, on local sites, but don't remember any more detailed information.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    No, going from Rome it's as I described; once you leave Terni the FCU conductor sells the ticket for the FCU segment on the train with no surcharge. When leaving Umbria and going to Rome, you shouldn't count on this for the Trenitalia segment from Terni to Rome; you should get the ticket for the Trenitalia segment in advance, from the FCU station as long as you aren't going from a very small station. I guess you would get two tickets and stamp them both on the validation machine on the train.

I went to Cortona today and briefly met Alessandra.

Andrew, are you going to call me? I am in the book. Greenwood is the name and I am the ONLY one.

In reading over this information I still have 2 questions:

<LI>If taking the train from Termini (or as I would, from Tiburtina), are you saying that it is NOT necessary to change trains in Terni? and
    <LI>If taking the morning train TO Rome, does this train not stop in Marsciano/Ponte Rio, Aquasparta, etc along the way?

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    1. Correct. It's an FCU train from Rome; you don't need to change in Terni.

2. On this schedule (a PDF), this is the train leaving Perugia S. Anna at 7.30, so it does stop in those places.

Thanks for clearing up those questions Andrew. I'm sorry that our paths haven't crossed yet, but I'm sure they will. I hope you've settled in by now....let us know if we can help in any way.