I'm here, discovering new churches and cakes, and bloging about it.

www.fictionalcities.co.uk/trip3.htm

If you're interested.

jeff

I'm here, discovering new churches and cakes, and bloging about it.

www.fictionalcities.co.uk/trip3.htm

If you're interested.

jeff

This was most enjoyable. A great start to the morning! I need to go back and finish the books/films of London as I got busy with the "cakes" section and will now have to rush to get to work. There is not even time for a pancake before I hit the freeway.

Very nice Palazo. Are you doing some care taking for the owners? How did that come about? Sounds very interesting.

We'll be in Venice in 7 more days. Can't wait.

jb
    Buongiorno, o buona sera.
    SirFoodalot

Slow Traveler

I am loving your Venice blog but can only read a little at a time asI get too homesick - assuming one can be homesick for a place that is not actually their home. On the other hand, home is where the heart is and a part of my heart is always in Venice. I am looking forward to reading more and more. Ruth

What a gorgeous blog: stunning pictures and beautifully written. I love it.

Slow Traveler

Hi Jeff, what a great read! And the photos are awesome too. Thanks so much.

I'm a Venice church freak too. That Titian "Annuciation" in San Salvador is one of my favorite paintings in Venice - I visited it almost everyday on my last trip. And you are so lucky to have found San Angelo Raffaele open - I have tried to visit that church several times ever since I read "Miss Garnet's Angel" (which I read because of your recommendation on your website). San Nicolo is another one on my wish list that I have yet to find open.

And about the cakes - a couple of years ago, I bought this bright green cake at a bakery on Strada Nuova. I have no idea what it was - I bought it solely because of the color, but it was delicious. Any idea what it was?

Thanks again and have a great time!

Slow Traveler

Yum, the cakes.... I can't wait until April. Great blog!
    Teach to Travel; Travel to Teach

Thanks to all for the kind words. Home tomorrow!

The green cakes tend to be pistachio, but I've not tried one of those. I'll put it on my list for next time.

I was going past San Angelo Raffaele again today (it was closed!) and took a photo of the statue of Tobias and the angel and his dog over the door. I'll try to remember to place it by the "Miss Garnet's Angel" review when I get home.

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Palazzo:

I was going past San Angelo Raffaele again today (it was closed!) and took a photo of the statue of Tobias and the angel and his dog over the door. I'll try to remember to place it by the "Miss Garnet's Angel" review when I get home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We have gone to San Angelo Raffaele innumerable times and it is always closed. For a long time it was closed for renovation, but recently we have tried after carefully noting the times it is spposed to be open and arriving during them, and it is still closed. I think we are fated never to see the inside, but I too have a photo of Tobias, the angel and the dog.
    Once again I have really loved both your words and your pictures. Ruth

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I get too homesick - assuming one can be homesick for a place that is not actually their home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruth,
    How funny--I've been using the same description, "homesick," when I explain why I'm going back to Venice next month for 3 days (that's all the time I can squeeze out). Some get it; many don't.
    Sharon

Slow Traveler

Awesome! I've passed your blog onto friends and relatives. Expect your hits to increase tenfold.

When we tell people were going back to Venice we often hear, "But haven't you already been there?" They don't get that every place you go has many layers that take time to peel back to discover the marvels and simple gems. In fact it is the simple gems that take more time to find, but are often more satisfying than the grand museums. A smell, a view or a quality of light and reflection that are gone in a moment.

jb
    Buongiorno, o buona sera.
    SirFoodalot

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SharonZ:

Ruth,
    How funny--I've been using the same description, "homesick," when I explain why I'm going back to Venice next month for 3 days (that's all the time I can squeeze out). Some get it; many don't.
    Sharon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is always lovely to find a kindred spirit. And the next best things to being there are talking about it, reading about it and looking at wonderful photos. Ruth

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JuniorBalloon:
    When we tell people were going back to Venice we often hear, "But haven't you already been there?" They don't get that every place you go has many layers that take time to peel back to discover the marvels and simple gems. In fact it is the simple gems that take more time to find, but are often more satisfying than the grand museums. A smell, a view or a quality of light and reflection that are gone in a moment.

jb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    All very true especially your last line. For me part of the magic is the ephemeral quality of the light, the reflections and of the city itself. How much longer will any of it last? Ruth

With each trip the experience improves, and if you can go so often you build up contacts and get to know people...

I'm optimistic about Venice. There seem to be more locals, old women, school kids making a racket, young people drinking outside bars in Campo Santa Margherita, just generally people speaking Italian, than the reports tell us. The environmental problems persist (bring back the cats!) but all is far from bleak. But this is from a man still on the high from his visit.

Here's to all our next visits!

Slow Traveler

Really excellent blog. Beautiful photos. THANKS!

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JuniorBalloon:
    A smell, a view or a quality of light and reflection that are gone in a moment.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. And for me, it's also about the sounds. Those bells are magic....

Slow Traveler

It's the lapping of the water on a quiet canal. That sound I first encountered when I stopped in Venice for a weekend while studying abroad in 2001. I took my husband back last year to hear it. We're returning for a week in the spring. He's hooked, too.
    Teach to Travel; Travel to Teach

Palazzo,
    the blog of venice was beautiful. We too love Venice, but is it getting more and more crowded these days?? How did you find your flat? It sounds delightful. We just returned from Venice 2 days ago and it was the most crowded I've seen in many years. Please let us all know about renting flats. Grazie mille, Leigh

Slow Traveler

Beautiful photos!
    I second (or third!) the Venice love. Of all our travels Venice is the one place tht not only met but exceeded my anticipation. Even the second time when I feared it wouldn't live up to my memory.

I would agree that the main routes through Venice, and the hot spots generally, seemed more crowded this year, even than last year when I went a couple of weeks earlier. But straying away from the San Marco-Rialto-Strada Nuovo axis you can still find yourself in semi-deserted campos and calles very quickly. Cannaregio still has some of loveliest and least-visited canals and churches for me. As does Dorsoduro. And it's much more peaceful staying in these area, and nothing's ever that far away in Venice.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please let us all know about renting flats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leigh, follow the links (in the sidebar: Italy shortcuts) to the Slowtrav vacation rental pages, and you'll find reviews and listings of lots of flats/apartments in Venice.

Jeff, I absolutely agree about the 'off the beaten path'. When I was there in March this year, I explored some areas of Cannaregio that I'd never seen before (around S Giobbe): almost deserted, despite swathes of people down at the bottom end of the Cannaregio canal.

Those uve fragola sound interesting. Is that what they use for the fragolino wine? Maybe I'll ask in the correct forum...

Over 6 months since I've been to Venice. I'm starting to get serious withdrawal symptoms - not at all helped by your superb blog

Jonathan

I think that fragolino wine might be made with the small (known in the UK as 'wild') strawberries I tried/ate/photographed at the same time. They are known as fragolini, I think.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Despite its markedly strawberry flavour, fragolino definitely is made from grapes - and, as ever, the answer is out there on Google: here's one site I found. So yes, it is your uva fragola.

Jonathan

Slow Traveler

Fox Creek, AB...back from exile and fully-participating in the forums again!
    YUM!
    I'll be in Venice by the 11th, so I know what to look for first...CAKES!
    This is a luscious blog, with exceptional photos...complimenti!

“All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much.” - George Harrison
    Brenda

Slow Traveler

I think your blog could also be titled 'A Cakewalk through Venice' Wonderful photos. Well done!
    Sandi
    The Backside of Rome, Walking 'round London
    [URL=http://whistlestopcooking.blogspot.com/index.html]Blog wi