Slow Traveler

I'm asking this for my relatives who will be traveling in Spain soon. They will have a car and for part of their trip they are staying in Carmona. The plan is to go to Seville for three of their days.

We have heard that it is really hard to park in Seville and that driving, especially in a big van, will not be a great idea.

Does anyone know of a lot that would be good and safe coming in from Carmona?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Brenda

Slow Traveler

I'm asking this for my relatives who will be traveling in Spain soon. They will have a car and for part of their trip they are staying in Carmona. The plan is to go to Seville for three of their days.

We have heard that it is really hard to park in Seville and that driving, especially in a big van, will not be a great idea.

Does anyone know of a lot that would be good and safe coming in from Carmona?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Brenda

well its a fast driving mode and the city center is pack; hard to find parking, and the garages are expensives 2 euros per hour in many.

so you can drop it at the train station and go to the city center from there or park it by the beltway road and take buses in the center.
    or as i do bring my car in to a parking garage like Plaza Catalina de ribera ,2 right off the ave andalucia coming from Carmona into the city center.
    another parking idea is the one at Luis Montoto,6 plaza de San Agustin right by the Puerta Carmona (door of carmona gate).

hope it helps

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Brenda - so are they coming to Sevilla DURING the stay in Carmona, or after? Can they take a train or bus from Carmona instead of driving?

Driving in Sevilla is uber stressful. If at all possible they should try to take public transport in. I wish Clive would come and chime in - he and Sue gave me and my mom a ride to our hotel there and I will feel guilty forever for getting him into that mess.

Slow Traveler

Thanks you guys. They are staying in Carmona and want to visit Sevilla each day for 3 days. I am going to call and give him this thread. Maybe he can ask some more questions.

I know he also wants to go to Cordoba from Seville on a day trip as well.

Thanks again,
    Brenda

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Brenda, I found this link that has many buses going from Sevilla to Carmona so one would assume they go from Carmona to Sevilla as well. It costs only 2 Euro and takes about an hour, but it doesn't say which bus line here - so maybe there is more than one line going to Sevilla.

Slow Traveler

We didn't find driving in Seville to be too bad but parking was a real problem. Once we realised that the apartment we rented in Santa Cruz only had street parking (virtually non existant)we parked about a 5 min walk away for 15 euros a day. A lot of stress was experienced prior to this. Another point is that parking stations seem to have incredibly small spaces - we only had quite a small car but was tough to park at times. I cannot imagine the difficulty with a bigger vehicle. Overall, a car is a liability in Seville - we only had one as we did need to go other places on a regular basis and ended up returning it early anyway.

Slow Traveler

Hola,

hehehehe...Good memories Shannon...Good memories...You were more stressed out than me and Sue put together and to be fair it was not your fault that the council had decided to dig up every road that led to your hotel on the "outskirts of Seville" (maybe need a better map for the future that defines "outskirts"....

And for the interested, we got a parking place in an underground cavern that seemed to be built for dwarfs and dwarfs chariots...It was only a couple of minutes walk from Shannon and Connie's hotel so it seemed OK....

Then we said our goodbyes and went back to the dwarfs cave to find our car blocked in by something I can only describe as a dwarfs car...Took me 2 hours to get out and in the end it was because me and 3 Spanish guys bounced the offending car out of the way....Oh we laughed..heheheheheh

I have a "big" car....

The secret to driving in the towns and cities in Spain is to sloooow down and get with it...Leave plenty of time to get wherever you are going and above all ask the hotel what parking facilities they have....

And my advice is...If you are going to stay in Seville for 3 nights then get there using public transport...

If you have a hire car and Seville is just a part of your travels then wind the windows down, take it easy and use the time sitting in the traffic queues to look at the sights and smell the city....

Clive

Slow Traveler

Definition of masochist: One who voluntarily chooses to look for a parking space in Seville
    Perusing Perugia - Travel notes for Perugia
    Thailand for Beginners

Traveler

As I recall, we parked at the garage under Plaza de Armas - it was close to our hotel. This is a big garage with multiple levels and ample space. This was four or five years ago, but the rates were fairly reasonable for overnight parking - around 18 euro per day, IIRC (cheaper the longer you stay).

I agree with the other comments: having a car in Seville is a liability; driving is frenetic; on-street parking is non-existant; too many rotaries; your sense of direction will be mightily challenged. It is however a fantastic city. Happy trails,

-Richard

Slow Traveler

We had drove a large rental van ( with 5 adults and one child) in Seville and found it MUCH easier than everyone said it would be.

Perhaps it was just luck, but our way in ( from Marbella) was not bad at all and there was a parking garage right near our hotel in Santa Cruz area that they ( Armadeus hotel) told us about. It really was a cinch.

That said it is crazy to drive in Seville and plain silly. Why in the world drive to Cordoba ( which is a MUST see as is Seville!!) when the AVE train is so easy and only 40 minutes ( much faster and easier than driving)?

I don't think a lot will be that safe, but I have heard that there are lots of garages on the outskirt of town. We thought about doing that and just taking a taxi in, but then ended up taking the van all the way in ( and we did not touch it again until we left).

Most of the key sites are all walkable.

well i said taking buses from the beltway road into city center Sevilla, now if you want to go all the way from Carmona to Sevilla the bus company is Empresa Casal. you take at several spots in the city; take teh M 220 Line 1 it has regular schedules all day from 6:15am until 9:30pm from Sevilla ,you can call them (out of my red hot info file) +34 95 441 06 58 or within spain just 95 441 06 58. call for details current,and you can always ask the conductor for the best stops.
    hope it helps.