Need some suggestions for an Italian song for a mother/son dance at a wedding. 'Mama' & 'Le Mamme' both have been used at most of the weddings i have been to. Those songs are great and love them both but i just would like to have something different. Can someone help out with couple songs? Thanks!

Need some suggestions for an Italian song for a mother/son dance at a wedding. 'Mama' & 'Le Mamme' both have been used at most of the weddings i have been to. Those songs are great and love them both but i just would like to have something different. Can someone help out with couple songs? Thanks!

Slow Traveler

"Sogno" (Dream) by Andrea Boccelli. I had an opera singer and pianist at my son's wedding alternating between Boccelli songs and Louis Prima songs from the fifties! It was a hoot.

Slow Traveler

Very interesting. I never saw, in Italy, a son dance at his wedding with his mother. Actually, most true Italian mothers consider their son's marriage day as the saddest in their life and would like not to attend at all, let alone dance...
    Luca Logi aka itarchivarius

i am not surprised. wedding tradition here is we do dance with our mothers and the daughter has a dance with the father. i believe it is to show our love and respect for them. To let them know we appreciate everything they have done for us and even though another lady has come into our life, she will always be our "MAMA" and nothing will take that away.

Slow Traveler

Just out of interest where is "here"? it is not usual in the UK either.

United States.

Slow Traveler

Fox Creek, AB...back from exile and fully-participating in the forums again!
    This is a tradition in Canada also, not only at weddings but at graduations as well. It's a sign of respect, love and gratitude for the parents from their children, and sons dance with their mothers, daughters with their fathers.

Try this site...it has a good selection.

Here are some more traditional mother-son songs.

If you want to buy a CD, here's one on Amazon!

Hope this helps! Try Google for more, if these aren't what you want.

"Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint Exupery
    Brenda

thank you... i'll look into it. has anyone ever heard of song 'Portami a ballare' by Luca Barbarossa? someone told me about it but never heard it before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'Portami a ballare' by Luca Barbarossa </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From YouTube.

Lousy photography; I hope the audio is better (I didn't have mine turned on).

Slow Traveler

itarchivarius:; have you actyally ever seen anyone dance at a wedding here in Italy?!
    Alice Twain
    --
    A Typesetter's day 3.0: Blog.

Slow Traveler

Alice: yes, not common, but I have seen wedding dances in a couple of istances. They hired very large restaurants with dancing areas and a band. After the wedding lunch there was some dance, but I did not notice any particular meaning in them.

Yes, for instance. We are getting married in a church. After that, we will be going to the reception hall(restaurant) for dinner, drinking, dancing and whatever. Around 200 people expected. Next step is honeymoon(Hawaii)! A wedding is a celebration, not a funeral. And we all dance to have a good time. Enjoy ourselves that day.

Here is website to our reception hall(restaurant)...

http://seasonscatering.com/

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A wedding is a celebration, not a funeral. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not underestimate funerals. In South Tyrol I once saw a funeral lunch, that but for the music was very like a wedding lunch. The rationale for having a lunch after the funeral service was that relatives come from distant places so it was nice to take care of them before they returned to their homes.

As I told, it was very much a a wedding lunch and some people got drunk. The people in the area have a German culture and getting drunk is a serious job. Driving home they had an accident (I understood they got off road on a curve) so after a couple of days there was a *second* funeral lunch...

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itarchivarius:
    I once saw a funeral lunch, that but for the music was very like a wedding lunch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, I have heard music at an Italian marriage only once: the husband was (is still) a blues musician and, after the dinner, he and the guests played a jam session. Still, no dancing.
    Alice Twain
    --

Slow Traveler

In UK most people have a formal sit down "wedding breakfast"(which can be held at any time of day and is still referred to in those terms!) for close family and friends, and then later, a less formal Reception with a buffet and dancing until the early hours. This is usually opened up to work colleagues,neighbours etc.

Slow Traveler

Well, at least here in my area, it's quite typical to have a small music band or a DJ for some music during the wedding lunch and some dance after it.

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alice Twain:
    itarchivarius:; have you actyally ever seen anyone dance at a wedding here in Italy?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I met someone here in London whose sister married an Italian somewhere near or in Genova. She described the perfect mismatch of cultures between the English and Italians. The wedding reception consisted of a huge banquet (of I think at least 7 courses) and there was an adjoining room for dancing afterwards. The English guests simply wanted the meal to be over with quickly so they could go and dance and the Italians were savouring every course slowly and with enjoyment.
    Beebee

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TNC:
    A wedding is a celebration, not a funeral. And we all dance to have a good time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your comment reminds me that at the end of our wedding one guest came up to me and said: "I'm a funeral man, me but this wedding was as good as any funeral I've ever been to"
    Beebee

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by beebee:
    [...] the Italians were savouring every course slowly and with enjoyment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    For most Italians a part is essentially about food. Any party. Throw the best party you can think of, with music, a lovely place to be, gorgeous drinks prepared by the best professional barman you can think of, entertainment of any kind, and a few snacks, and any Italian present will just remeber the snacks and complain about the fact that they were few and not very interesting. A few weeks ago, I went to a friend's marriage and I spent the following few days telling about the food we had (pretty good too, unusual for a marriage, and very light either, which is a good thing: 6-7 antipasti, three primi, two secondi, each with a potato and a veg side, salad, cake: just perfect, neither too much nor too little):
    Alice Twain
    --

that is one reason we chose this particular reception hall. The food over there is real good and they give plenty. We know that our guests aren't going to leave our party hungry. we definitely dont want that. We want them to enjoy themselves. Have fun and dance.

still looking for songs. Italian songs that have been dedicated to mothers or a song in which she will appreciate from me to her. 'Mama', 'Le Mamme', and what other songs are there?

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

You could do Viva La Mamma but it is not a slow song. Eduardo Bennato sang it originally I believe and Neri per Caso redid it a few years ago. If you go to this Google Search Link you can find You Tube versions of Neri per Caso doing it.

Here in Siena, every wedding I have gone to has had dancing and EVERYONE danced but not until all the food was finished.

EDITED TO ADD: I know the link looks weird but I can't fix it. Maybe because I am using Firefox. ANyway, if it doesn't work for you, just google "viva la mamma" and you will come up with the same info.