Shannon discusses how Berlin is one of the most vibrant, energetic, and interesting cities in Europe, having rebuilt itself in a remarkably short period of time since the end of World War II in Berlin, Germany - A City Reborn and Diana's written some fabulous notes on Hamburg, a cosmopolitan and beautiful city in North Germany in Hamburg, Germany City of Water.

Enjoy.

Shannon discusses how Berlin is one of the most vibrant, energetic, and interesting cities in Europe, having rebuilt itself in a remarkably short period of time since the end of World War II in Berlin, Germany - A City Reborn and Diana's written some fabulous notes on Hamburg, a cosmopolitan and beautiful city in North Germany in Hamburg, Germany City of Water.

Enjoy.

I loved reading your report on Hamburg. It put a smile on my face thinking of my own memories. Got to spend a few days there Aug 07 visiting friends who live just a block away from Lange Strasse (got to sit next to Hamburg's drag queen at a street cafe there). One of my favourite outings was to Blankenese and then walking back along the Elbe promenade towards the city. Well, we didn't do the entire 6 miles but hopped on a boat for the last stretch. You only need a regular bus ticket to take these boats!

I also wanted to add a comment to your paragraph about the architecture in Hamburg. It leaves the impression as if Hamburg sustained very litte dammage through bombing in WWII. In fact, quite the opposite is the case as Hamburg was the target of Operation Gomorrah (later called the Hiroshima of Germany), one of the heaviest raids in history. The firestorm resulting from the bombing not only killed over 40,000 people but also incinerated the city centre. The villas of the rich weren't touched because they weren't located in the target areas. Easy to understand: who with the right amount of money would build their dream home close to one of the largest commercial ports in the world instead of along the Elbe beaches? It might look differently today as the Airbus Industries are only a stone throw across the Elbe from Blankenese ...

Did you see the Nikolai Kirche at Hopfenmarkt? The ruins have been turned into an anti war memorial. I was especially touched by the three sculptures by Edith Breckwoldt displayed there. I took a picture of "Earth Angel"

I certainly did not mean to give the impression that HH escaped the war unscathed but only that certain architectural elements which were destroyed in other cities remained intact. The majority of the the RAF bombings of the city targeted harbor areas (which lie in the center of the city) and outlying areas such as Billstedt, Hammerbrook, Harburg, Vedel, and other key harbor areas..

But the architecture which was preserved was important, and shows the targeted nature of the bombings. The bombings which took place at the end of the war stripped many German cities of much architectural identity. This was however not the case in Hamburg.

If there is interest, I will follow this report with one on the Hamburg churches and Museums, as well as some other info on other parts of Northern Germany.