Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Cynde will be in Sorrento on Friday, June 13. Our plan was for her to phone me or to post here to tell me when she planned to be in front of the cam. BUT we have to go out of town for business so will not be at my computer!!

Can someone else (or everyone else) try to grab a copy of the webcam photo when she is there? Cynde, could you post on this thread when you think you will be there? Are you going to put a SlowTrav sign on the mailbox?

I practiced grabbing the picture off the webcam and it works fine (although sometimes it crashes IE on me).

Pauline from Slow Travelers

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Cynde will be in Sorrento on Friday, June 13. Our plan was for her to phone me or to post here to tell me when she planned to be in front of the cam. BUT we have to go out of town for business so will not be at my computer!!

Can someone else (or everyone else) try to grab a copy of the webcam photo when she is there? Cynde, could you post on this thread when you think you will be there? Are you going to put a SlowTrav sign on the mailbox?

I practiced grabbing the picture off the webcam and it works fine (although sometimes it crashes IE on me).

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Okay, that time it crashed IE and did not save the photo. For me it works if I right click and save picture as, and just let it default to the default filename. Maybe taking the time to put in a new filename and the refreshing of the image causes the crash. Maybe that makes no sense.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

No, I think that does make sense. If there's a delay, the picture it was trying to capture doesn't exist anymore. Crashing IE isn't exactly a graceful response, but I can see how it might happen.

I think it would be good if several of us in different time zones could try to capture the image. I volunteer to do it from PDT.

Slow Traveler

IE Crashing on capture

My attempts to capture (WIN2000 & IE6) also cause an IE crash (but only some of my windows) if I don't save within a few seconds of the save symbol appearing.

If I copy and paste to a Word document, then I get the next picture rather than the current one.

Saved pictures are 901Kb bitmaps (bmp). How do these get converted?
    I will experiment.
    John
    John
    "There are two types of problems: those that solve themselves, and those which you can do nothing about"
    Isabel Allende's grandmother

Slow Traveler

Opening an image with Imaging (part of Win2k) and saving it as jpeg gives a 60k image.

Also, turning the webcam refresh off seems to prevent the crashing

Garbage has gone now

[This message was edited by JohnFromAus on 05 June 2003 at 06:04 AM.]
    John
    "There are two types of problems: those that solve themselves, and those which you can do nothing about"

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I save it quick and it is a bitmap image. Then take it into Photoshop and make it smaller and save as JPG. Your method worked too John. Do you turn the refresh off with that pulldown box on the window under the picture?

One night we saw the garbage trucks come by.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Steve wants to set up a webcam for Shannon's party.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

That would be TOO COOL!

Steve, you're Brilliant!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Yeah, brilliant. This is how it goes. Steve says "lets set up a webcam". Pauline does the rest. The man was born to manage.

(Feeling guilty, I edit this to point out that, yes, he is brilliant and, yes, he does lots around here. And he always steps in to work out the more technical things for me. Now I feel better - in case he ever reads this.)

Slow Traveler

Hey all, it's funny to see this thread after being away for a few days. Finally got the ENADAlert since I couldn't get No Jet Lag or melatonin. Wish I could have a few drinks but since I'm going to take those pills I better not. Wheeeee!! Now it's just the waiting because I think I'm ready to go.

For the Sorrento webcam I've been trying to find someone (who's already been on the same tour)to tell me how long we get to stay in Sorrento and when. Can't find anyone so I'll only know when I meet up with the tour on Tuesday. Sorry, wish I had more info. So do you want a sign that just says SLOW TRAVELER on it? Let me know.

|:|:|:|:|:
    We still love you, Clay!

[This message was edited by Amy on 05 June 2003 at 06:24 AM.]
    Clayfan!

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pauline:
    Do you turn the refresh off with that pulldown box on the window under the picture?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there is an "Off" option in the pulldown list. When you set refresh off it still completes the next image (which may not be the one you want) and may crash if you don't wait.

Cynde, If it is a sunny day you would best be in the sun to be clearly seen. The shaded areas are too dull. See below.
    John

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I just realized I won't be able to capture this after all, since I'll be away from the computer from Thursday morning until Friday evening.

Any other volunteers?

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I'll be at my computer from 7:00 am (EDT)until about 3:00 pm (EDT), if someone can again explain to me how to do it, I will.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Pauline will correct me if I've got any of this wrong.

1. Bring up the Sorrento webcam

2. When you see Cyndee, change the setting in the dropdown list at the bottom of the page to "off".

3. Right click on the picture and choose "Save Picture As...". A dialog box will come up.

4. Note the folder listed in the Save in box at the top of the dialog box so you will be able to find the picture later.

5. Click Save.

6. Go to the folder listed in Step 4 and find the picture, probably titled "untitled.bmp." Email that picture to Pauline.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

AFAIK, I'll be around that day - and will do my best!

(Pauline, don't think for a second that we've forgotten who does the hard work around here! You're the real ! But we appreciate the idea guy, too. )

But I was thinking about the party webcam ... to most SlowTravelers we'd just be a bunch of people hanging around a wine bar. Okay - drinking, eating, talking, laughing, showing off vacation pictures, some of us signing books...

So - do we all walk up to the camera at some point holding a big sign with our name on it and smile pretty?

Slow Traveler

I am here in Italy.. but working on Friday!!!! so won't be at my computer!!!
    Sorry

Cooking in Florence
    www.divinacucina.com
    [URL=http://www.divinacucina.com] Chianti:Food+Wine APP

Diva's New Cook Book

Traveler

I will be at my computer, at work, off and on from 8:30AM-5:00PM and will keep my eyes open.

Shannon

Shoot for the Moon, even if you miss you'll still be among the stars.
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Cynde - put a sign saying SlowTrav on top of that post box or in front of one of the planters. Maybe the planter is best because of what John said about the sun. Maybe both places!!

Post on this thread if you find out what time you will be there. Or phone me and leave a message on my voice mail (we are out of town Wednesday - Friday) and I will post it.

If you are there Friday morning, we will see you Thursday late at night. Everyone check next Thursday night before bed and Friday morning first thing.

Slow Traveler

Has anyone checked out:
    www.cafe2paris.com
    It's a live web cam in and outside a cafe in St Tropez. I tink it's fab.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colleen:
    So - do we all walk up to the camera at some point holding a big sign with our name on it and smile pretty? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABSOLUTELY !

Slow Traveler

Or maybe wear a T shirt with your name on it, like Mouseketeers

Beebee
    Beebee

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Cute, Beebee! LOL
    We're the Slow Traveleers!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I wrote to the guys who run the webcam to tell them that Cynde will be putting a sign in front of it on Friday. When I wrote to them before they responded in English, but said their English was not so good, so I got Steve to write this:

Abbiamo scritto a voi prima (in inglese). Grazie per ci avendo detto dove si trova vostra webcam. Dirigiamo un website (sito sul internet) e "message board" per la gente chi viaggia a l'Italia da tutto il mondo. Molti di nostr'amici guardano la vostra webcam ogni giorno. Il venerdi prossimo, una di nostr'amici sara a Sorrento e lasciara un'insegna con il messaggio "SlowTrav" (Viaggo Lento) dove tutti lo potranno vedere sulla webcam.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

she is there right now

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Cynde just phoned. They changed the tour at the last minute and her sign is packed away!! But she found the web cam and her are some shots of her there. Here she is on the phone with me:

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Here she is holding up a page of her journal with Slow Trav on it:

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Another one.

Slow Traveler

love it!!!
    I was just looking at the webcam..thinking how I could try to be here and get the image when she was here!!!
    and 2 minutes later..there she is!
    TOO COOL!

Cooking in Florence
    www.divinacucina.com
    [URL=http://www.divinacucina.com] Chianti:Food+Wine APP

Diva's New Cook Book

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

And Cynde taking a photo of the webcam!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Diva - you saw her too! That is great.

Cynde phoned around 7am. We were in bed but awake (Spike has taken to waking us up early these days) - but we are leaving today for Phoenix and the phones are turned off (luckily I had one on so I heard the call) and my computer is switched over - Cynde didn't know the street name and I had to look it up but couldn't turn on my email on my main computer because it was set up on my other computer - blah, blah - so I told her where I remembered it was and got my computer booted then called her back and by then she was standing in front of the camera.

Her tour changed everything at the last minute so her sign and info for the webcam were packed away!!

It was too exciting to be talking to her and seeing her on the webcam!! I am really, really glad that I didn't miss it.

Now we are driving to Phoenix - and at least we are getting a good early start.

Cynde says it is hot there!! She is in Capri tonight and will try to post.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Cynde got some paper and it putting a sign on top of the mail box!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Here is a closeup - but you can't see the detail:

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pauline:
    Cynde got some paper and it putting a sign on top of the mail box!

Pauline from http://www.slowtrav.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see it! But I can't make out what it says - wish I had a zoom lens.

This is just way too cool

Slow Traveler

Wow, how exciting! I never knew looking at a webcam could be so fun (those other ones of the unchanging scenery just always seemed a bit boring to me). But how fun to turn on and see Cynde standing there! Good for you, Cynde, looks like you're having the time of your life. And great work Pauline to capture the photos so quickly!

Traveler

ORLANDO,FLORIDA SOON TO BE ...FIRENZE,ITALIA
    I wish I knew Cynde !!! She could have bought me that cute pink purse that is in that little shop in the webcams view !!!!

"I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT IF I WAS TOLD AT THIS MOMENT THAT I WAS DYING NOT MY FIRST, NOT MY SECOND, BUT MOST CERTAINLY MY THIRD THOUGHT WOULD BE THAT I SHOULD NEVER SEE ITALY AGAIN" DAME MILLICENT GARRETT FAWCETT
    "I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT IF I WAS TOLD AT THIS MOMENT THAT I WAS DYING NOT MY FIRST, NOT MY SECOND, BUT MOST CERTAINLY MY THIRD THOUGHT WOULD BE THAT I SHOULD NEVER SEE ITALY AGAIN" DAME MILLICENT GARRETT FAWCETT

Slow Traveler

Wow! Nearly three in the afternoon and the sign is still there. Did Pauline get an answer to Steve's letter to the webcam guys? The mailman was cool with this?
    Fun seeing you, Cynde! Capri? Don't we have a webcam there? (Don't forget. We're all watching you every minute. All day. All night. All week. Now that's pretty scarey!)

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Very Cool. I *love* the web.

Slow Traveler

Hey, Marta. My Mozilla is OK with infopop today. Did you call in an emergency?
    The sign says, "HELP! I'VE BEEN ABDUCTED BY AN ITALIAN COUNT WITH A FERRARI AND A SLOW TRAV LURKING FETISH. WE ARE ON HIS YACHT IN THE HARBOUR OFF........" and then it trails of in a smear of nailpolish! We've got to find her, rescue her! Or do we? Would she really want us to? I don't know. Well, we could.....
    Oh, nevermind.

Slow Traveler

This is so entertaining! Do we know now what kind of vending machine it is? cigarrettes? snacks? I want to know

"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

It is 7:45PM there and the sign is still on the postbox!
    Now I want to watch it constantly to see who finally takes it down!

Deborah Horn

In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I'd like to do a past life regression and stay there.
    -----------------------------------
    www.petsburg.com
    Deborah Horn
    In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
    www.petsburg.com
    [url=http://www.slowtrav.com/bl

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joanna:
    The sign says, "_HELP! I'VE BEEN ABDUCTED BY AN ITALIAN COUNT WITH A FERRARI AND A SLOW TRAV LURKING FETISH. WE ARE ON HIS YACHT IN THE HARBOUR OFF........_" and then it trails of in a smear of nailpolish! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it really??? - I'd only want to find her if I could join her....

Slow Traveler

It's 8:59, the sign is still there and I can actually read part of it. I just missed seeing Cynde live and in person this morning. Bummer

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Heehee! Yeah, Cynde! Hope she can imagine the huge grins around the world from this!

Amy in MA
    "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

[This message was edited by Amy on 11 June 2003 at 01:41 PM.]
    Amy in MA
    Destination Anywhere

"A traveler without knowledge is a bird without wings."--Sa'di, Gulistan (1258)

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    The darker it gets the clearer the picture. I think it says Slow Traveler (with one l or two, I'm not sure)...

BTW -- it's 10:10 pm and still there

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Hey,

It looks like someone's taking a picture of Cynde's sign

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

11:25 there now. Kids are gathered around the cigarette/condom machine. One couple still at the outdoor tables. Street is littered with trash and a big box.
    I wonder what time the street crew comes through and cleans? The street always looks great in the morning.
    Sign is still up!
    Maybe the street crew will take the sign down. Maybe the post office will eventually service that box. Maybe not. Maybe that is not a good place to mail a post card home from. Maybe the mail in that box has been there for weeks, months, Years!!!

Deborah Horn

In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I'd like to do a past life regression and stay there.
    www.petsburg.com
    Deborah Horn
    In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
    www.petsburg.com
    [url=http://www.slowtrav.com/bl

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Well it is about 12:45 AM there and the sign is still up! It is also a lot easier to read than it was during the daylight hours. My husband and I are supposed to go out for a nice dinner tonight. I know the whole time I'll be thinking "Is Cynde's sign still up?" I guess I am officially hooked! Gotta love that girl!

Slow Traveler

Sign still there at 0:44 am (It's 8:45 am in Sydney)
    John

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

1:53am Sorrento time, the last motorcycle just left. The red tail light was a ghostly image in the alley by the mail box. The sign is still up and the trash is still there.