we'll be taking 3 days to travel back to paris from provence in mid july. mappy shows the route which goes through lyon, macon and auxerre on the (i don't know the french word -- autostrada, autobahn?) can anyone recommend a pleasant and scenic route, which would allow for 2 or 3 nights of stopovers and a little bit of looking around during the day? this is to break up an otherwise long shlepp in the car. it doesn't matter whether it's partly on the highway, or all, or not at all.

thank you.

we'll be taking 3 days to travel back to paris from provence in mid july. mappy shows the route which goes through lyon, macon and auxerre on the (i don't know the french word -- autostrada, autobahn?) can anyone recommend a pleasant and scenic route, which would allow for 2 or 3 nights of stopovers and a little bit of looking around during the day? this is to break up an otherwise long shlepp in the car. it doesn't matter whether it's partly on the highway, or all, or not at all.

thank you.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

What town in Provence will you be leaving?
    Linda

not sure yet, but probably cassis or near there. i didn't mention that we'd like to break up the trip into about a 3-hour drive per day. but that can vary considerably: if the best route takes us, say, 4 1/2 one day and less another, that'll be worth it.

thanks

Slow Traveler

Hi

A bit out of your way, but worth researching A75/A71 via the new Millau bridge.

Peter

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    When we drove from Provence to Paris in 2002, we went via Burgundy and stopped for two nights in Beaune, which is a beautiful town. There is lots to do and see in that area. I think it took us maybe 5 hours to drive from Bonnieux to Beaune. (The highways in France, by the way are autoroutes.)

We stayed a bit outside of Beaune (economy move), but I think it would have been worth paying a bit more to stay in the town. I can recommend two good restaurants: Ma Cuisine and Le Gourmandin.

Well Roz knows the ways around. His is a great suggestion;i second it.
    and please do stay in Beaune;beautiful place.
    thats the A7/A6/A31 route where the A is autoroute.

autoroute: thanks for the word!!

Slow Traveler

We drove this route a few years ago, stopping on the way to celebrate a special birthday. The first night, we spent in a B & B in the Beaujolais area, which we loved. Rolling hills covered with vines, charming villages tucked in the valleys. Then a night in the historic hilltop pilgrimage village of Vezelay.
    Both were gorgeous areas which we'd like to explore more.
    Anne

i'm leaning towards burgundy because it seems direct and also beautiful. i like the pictures i've seen of noyers. that might be a good choice for the second and third night. i'm still looking for a nice place to spend the first night.