Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Slow Traveler

Pittsburgh to Santarcangelo di Romagna, Italy, and now, Savannah GA
    Is anyone going to see Bill before 1 April? If so, could you e-mail or PT me to get my phone number to give to him? I had no phone/internet connection just before he left and didn't get this number to him in time.
    Thanks --
    {changing title and adding link to his web site}

>> Who is Bill Thayer and why do we miss him? - Bill is a regular on this message board, but left mid February for a three month trip to Italy. He will not be online again until May. Read all about Bill on his web site - trip diaries and lots of great information on Italy. -- Pauline <<

[This message was edited by Pauline on 14 March 2004 at 06:18 PM.]

Slow Traveler

Is anyone going to see Bill before 1 April? If so, could you e-mail or PT me to get my phone number to give to him? I had no phone/internet connection just before he left and didn't get this number to him in time.
    Thanks --
    {changing title and adding link to his web site}

>> Who is Bill Thayer and why do we miss him? - Bill is a regular on this message board, but left mid February for a three month trip to Italy. He will not be online again until May. Read all about Bill on his web site - trip diaries and lots of great information on Italy. -- Pauline <<

[This message was edited by Pauline on 14 March 2004 at 06:18 PM.]

Karen, I thought he said he would put his Italian phone numbers on the trip calendar...have you checked there? I obviously haven't looked there yet, but wanted to answer this quickly.

Yes, that's right. You can also e-mail this information and his partner will pass it on.
    Carole

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

While Bill is in Umbria, I am going to keep this thread at the top of the Italy forum. Anyone who meets him over there or hears from him, post here so we can follow his trip.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

You are the queen, Pauline. Great idea, we look forward to hearing about everybody's sightings of Bill.
    Thanks
    W.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Bill is going to get such a kick out of it when he finds out we are trying to track his movements! I do suggest you guys start looking for dusty roads with lots of old rocks around. That's where he is likely to be.
    Pauline, could you post one of those maps where every day you draw a colored line to show his starting point and ending point? That would be cool.
    Deborah Horn
    In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
    -----------------------------------
    www.petsburg.com
    [url=http://www.slowtrav.com/bl

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I so much wish he could go online from his place in Umbertide. Just a quick nightly posting would let us follow along. Three months is too long for him to be away (from us)!!

I think Dean and Steph will be seeing him in Rome tomorrow - isn't there a GTG?

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I think I saw Bill Thayer in a supermarket in Omaha!!!

I tried to call Bill yesterday, but just got the answering machine. I left him a message with our phone numbers, and told him to call if he gets to our area!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    It's like Where's Waldo - hmmm...maybe more like Where in the World is Carmen San Diego!

Love the map idea

Slow Traveler

Or Matt Lauer.
    "I am a Southerner. I like the feel of these words. I could no more be otherwise than I could shed my outer skin or change the color of my eyes." Willie Morris

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Okay - so according to Tony, Bill was at the Rome GTG yesterday. Who's updating the map?

Slow Traveler

Wow, who knew Bill was elusive enough to have various sightings posted of him around the world. I met him for the first time last night at the GTG put together by Dean here in Rome.
    I then had the sheer luck of being seated next to him at dinner and then spent the following three hours laughing my fool head off.
    Enthralled is probably the right word to use.
    Elizabeth
    a new member of the Bill Thayer fan club

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

For any new people reading this, Bill Thayer runs an excellent, non-commercial, web site with great information for Italy and his travel diaries:
    Bill Thayer's Web Site

Elizabeth, I am jealous. I want to meet Bill Thayer too!!

Slow Traveler

Well, Pauline, you'll just have to come to the Umbria GTG in May.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

May? Hummm, my calendar seems quite clear in May ...

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Livinwell:
    I do suggest you guys start looking for dusty roads with lots of old rocks around. That's where he is likely to be.
    _. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right about now I would look along the sketchy trails that lead to Umbriano, reported to be the oldest town in Umbria. Although it is an abandoned town now, it has been purchased for restoration. Another example of a restored town close by is Labro, where Umbria and Lazio meet.

After that, his trail will head towards Abruzzo, where he will be in search of the church with the spring running beneath it. Perhaps the information i forwardedI got from friends to help him find it was helpful, but he never did let me know. I look forward to news of his success. Does this mean Carol, another curious traveler is there too?

Pat

Dear Pat and all, the best laid plans of........Which means that I am not yet in Italy having experienced further delay due to changing home. On our last contact, I freed Bill to pursue our tunnel should the opportunity arise (convenience wise) given his huge list of places to go. So....I may not get there until late April, early May. If he hasn't been by the time I arrive we will "do" the tunnel together....failing that, probably just Carole Roach's Italy LOL, will be the joint adventure. Thank you Pat for all of your help.....Bill hasn't been in a position to inform you of his intentions because of my lateness. I am still hoping that he doesn't go to the Abruzzo church before I arrive but that decision is now in the lap of the Gods, so to speak.
    Carole

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pauline:
    May? Hummm, my calendar seems quite clear in May ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Not any more it isn't. We will expect you and Steve in Umbertide -- in front of the church -- 9 May -- high-noon, for our trip to MdM.
    Deborah Horn
    In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
    www.petsburg.com

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carole R:
    Dear Pat and all, the best laid plans of........Which means that I am not yet in Italy having experienced further delay due to changing home.
    Carole <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So sorry for your delay. I feel your disappointment. When the research is done, be sure to include me in the findings. Abruzzo is always part of my itinerary.
    Pat

Well that means that we all may meet you Pauline at Umbertide.
    Carole

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

And he's only been gone a week!
    How many more?
    Eleven more!
    Oh NO!!!!
    Wendy & Rob

Traveler

Carole R - hope that you will let us all know about your trip to Abbruzzo. We had plans to visit next February, but these plans have been put on hold until a later time. Our grandparents were born in Abbruzzo and we look forward to the time that we can connect with our past.

Indeed I will write about Abbruzzo but Bill's account will be the one to wait for, he's the talented one in this regard ......... also takes magnificent photos. We all have our own perspective though so I hope what I write will interest you.

Talking about photos has anything come of the Rome GTG yet?
    Regards,
    Carole

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Casa del Fenicottero Rosa, Silver Spring, MD USA
    Here is a pic of Bill at the GTG with Mary and Tom from AOL.
    Slow Travel Wine Notes
    Restaurant Lists: Toscana * [url=http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurant_list/veneto_dean.htm]V

Hi Dean, So is this like the story of the Emporor's new clothes?
    Carole.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

You guys can be so literal.... actually having to have the pic posted to see it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roma_GTG_bill's_back,_mary_tom.jpg  
    Slow Travel Wine Notes
    Restaurant Lists: Toscana * [url=http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurant_list/veneto_dean.htm]V

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Umm...
    Did anyone take a picture of Bill T from the front??

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colleen:
    Umm...
    Did anyone take a picture of Bill T from the front?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colleen, if you want to see his face all you have to do is turn your monitor around!

The group photo was on film and I will get the negative scanned sometime soon. I hope. Right after I finish scanning the negatives from my last trip!
    Slow Travel Wine Notes

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Bill's like that guy on Home Improvement, Wilson, you never get to see his face .

Don't know about any of this Dean, but thanks anyway. I can see that there a six oclock shadow on his upper lip..........ROTFLOL.

Bye all and thanks,
    Carole

Slow Traveler

1300 viewings? If there was any doubt about how popular Bill is ...
    ellen

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

1300! That is absolutely amazing. Imagine how many there would be if we could see his face.

Traveler

I talked to Bill about an our ago. We have never met but my husband and I will be in his area on Tuesday so called to see if he wanted to go to lunch. We will pick him up in Umbertide on Tuesday and lunch in Spello. So, if any one has a message or number to deliver I will do so.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Yes, Jeannie. Please. Tell him that our MdiM get together is up to 16 people. Tell him we have decided to gather in front of the duomo at Noon and caravan to MdiM. Tell him that we assume that if he isn't there, he will be waiting for us at MdiM. Thanks!!!
    Deborah Horn
    www.petsburg.com

Is there really a Bill Thayer? I'm going to check the urban legends website.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    My family owns the house in Umbertide where Bill is staying. Livinwell, there isn't a duomo in Umbertide; do you mean the Collegiata octagonal church? Or was it established that you're meeting in a Duomo in another town?

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Hi grif305, how cool to have someone who knows Umbertide so well on the ST boards!
    Yes, you are right. I got the name Duomo stuck in my head on our first trip (10 years ago). Back then, to me every church in Italy was a Duomo. <grin> Somehow, I've never gotten over calling the one in Umbertide that. But, I have to say that I am unfamiliar with the name Collegiate. I thought it's actual name was Santa Maria della Reggia.
    Deborah Horn
    www.petsburg.com

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Yes, around town it's called Chiesa della Collegiata, but the formal name is S. Maria della Reggia. Do a Google search for Collegiata Umbertide; the first thing that comes up is a picture that Bill Thayer took.

Slow Traveler

I spoke with Bill last evening (got the number here, Thanks Barb). I told him about this thread and he was amused, saying 'just remember I will get to read it in May'.

The weather is not bothering him, except to take special care of the camera with the rain and cold. At this point he is focusing on the first concentric circle, Umbertide and it's castles. He has added 2 more communes to his Umbria list - just 15 remain unvisited. The 'discovery' of the trip, he said, is the medieval castle town of Corciano.

Also, on another note, he went to visit the Bee-hive in Rome, had a tour from Mario, and will be staying there later in the trip. He said it was a good neighborhood, safe and better than he remembered from the past. Recommended.

Then we talked about ice skating and skaters (I'll spare you)! He may swing by my area later this month. Will keep you posted.

Slow Traveler

For Bill's info.. There is a fabulous creche scene in the whole village of Corciano that is life size clay figures, in costume..really beautiful!
    found the village in helping a friend search for lost relatives... one of which has a art gallery there!
    [URL=http://www.divinacucina.com] Chianti:Food+Wine APP

Diva's New Cook Book

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Tell Bill a big hello from Pauline!!

He called about 3 hours ago from Monte Castello di Vibio, where (with Thayer luck) the theater, usually closed on the weekends, was about to be opened for a tourist visit.

Bill, Monte Castello, and I have a long history. I try (so far successfully) to avoid going there, and he doesn't. When he called, he said "guess where I am?" and I immediately answered "Monte Castello di Vibio?" As you walk around Umbria with Bill, from time to time he will say "Look, you can see Monte Castello!", while pointing to a chicken or a dog or a cloud. On one memorable occasion, he told me that a train barely visible miles off down a valley was headed towards Monte Castello di Vibio....

Bill's partner

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Bill's Partner - James (if I remember right)!! How wonderful of you to post!! It sounds like he is having a great time!

Monte Castello official site (in Italian)

Bill's Page on Montecastello

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Thayer:
    [...] As you walk around Umbria with Bill, from time to time he will say "Look, you can see Monte Castello!", while pointing to a chicken or a dog or a cloud. On one memorable occasion, he told me that a train barely visible miles off down a valley was headed towards Monte Castello di Vibio.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi, Bill's partner!
    After enjoying your amusing comments about Bill and Monte Castello, I'm off to check those links Pauline posted.

Slow Traveler

Hi, James

Say "hi" to Bill from Joanna. Looking forward to meeting him at the GTG. Wish you were going to be there, too. How does it feel to be partnered with a 'minor cult figure'?

I hadn't actually ever seen the board before. Bill asked me to check something he thought he may have put in a message. I got on and saw as the first item "Sightings?" Pretty darned spooky, let me tell you. Then rolling on the floor laughing, what with the back of Bill's head and Waldo and Blue's Clues.

As for saying hi, to tell the truth, you guys are more likely to hear from him (and of course to see him) than I am. We are practicing Frugality, which means not a lot of phone calls (although, praise be, some angel talked him out of sleeping in a tent in Puglia -- a bit of Frugality I was very eager that we should not practice). So say hi to him from me,

James

We expect to hear ...and see!...Bill one day this week. When we spoke with him last weekend, he was on his way to Corciano, and said that he would wait til he was reasonably sure of three good weather days in a row, and it looks as if that might be this week! Since we don't know what twists and turns Bill's plan might have taken, we just have to wait for his call. We'll keep you posted!

We heard from Bill tonight! And, BTW, he seemed (less than) thrilled with the picture showing the back of his (bald) head! And yes, he does have a computer with him!

Anyway, he is planning to walk from Marsciano to Citta della Pieve, and will stop here on his way. He plans to begin this journey next Tuesday, March 24th, with a backup date of Friday, March 27, weather permitting, of course. I'll try to take of picture of his better side and post it, just so everyone can know who to be on the lookout for!