Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Many people are heading off to Italy. Anyone going to Sorrento? Want to schedule a time in from of the web cam - so we can watch out for you?

http://www.sorrentoinfo.com/webcam.asp

Slow Traveler

Hi Pauline,
    If, by June the 2nd you are still needing volunteers we will be the guinea pigs but I am sure you won't have to wait that long !
    Wendy and Ricardo

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

That would be fun Wendy. Closer to your trip, pick a day and time and post - we will keep a watch for you. We did this for a few people last year and it was fun!!

Traveler

We should be in Sorrento with our walking tour around lunchtime on October 5. Where do we go to find the Webcam?

Slow Traveler

For a current (not vey interesting) view of Amalfi you can visit WWW.lniamalfi.it/webcam.htm

walkamalfi@hotmail.com

{fixing link - webcam was spelled wrong}

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    The link's not working for me

Slow Traveler

I'm not confident enough about finding this place or our itenerary to promise to be there at a certain time, but I certainly will look for it between May 11-14 and will wave if I find the camera - so if any insomniacs catch a middle aged strawberry blond with a big strapping teenage son and a tiny figure skater shaped 14 year old girl - that's us!

Joelle

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

The Sorrento webcam is right in the historic center of Sorrento, one block down towards the water from the main shopping street.

- - Sorrento Webcam - Via San Cesareo & Via Tasso - -

www.sorrentomap.com

Traveler

Pauline....what a good idea. We will be in Sorrento May 26-31 and have already planned to wave at the cam, but setting up a time for the Slow Trav folks will be fun.
    How about this: we will make our appearance to the webcam at about 6:00 p.m. Sorrento time
    on the 26th. We will be ones with sleepy looking friends who will have flown into FCO that morning. We are meeting them at the Termini and going straight to Sorrento. If other Slow Travelers have never seen New Mexicans, this will be your chance.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I haven't visited the Sorrento cam in a long time. Just popped in. Am curious why the sidewalk cafe tables aren't out. At this time of day on a Sun. evening, I would think they would be out and full. Did the cafe close?
    Deborah Horn
    In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
    -----------------------------------
    www.petsburg.com
    [url=http://www.slowtrav.com/bl

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I am marking my calendar now. I will watch for you and capture a snap. We have several screen captures here:
    www.slowtrips.com/photo/showgallery.php?cat=556

Hey, Antonello from Sorrento Info posted some great snaps - from his own web cam!!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Try to leave behind a piece of paper with slowtrav.com written on it - either stick it on the post box or lean it against one of the plants.

Oh the memories! Wish we were going to Sorrento again this year!

Off the Italy in 7 1/2 weeks!

My new Italy blog:

http://chiarodilunas.blogspot.com

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I just watched someone in front of the web cam. He was on the phone and looking at the camera. Another person with him was also posing beside him sometimes, walking around others. Other web cam fans!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 051404a.jpg  

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Topping because tomorrow is the day - Wednesday, 10am Mountain Time (6pm Sorrento time) for PGM41 to be in front of the Sorrento Webcam.
    http://www.sorrentoinfo.com/webcam.asp

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Topping to remind myself to watch and grab some shots.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I am watching the web cam. That caffe on the corner is gone. Sunny and beautiful there.

Slow Traveler

I miss the cafe! And I still haven't gotten used to the "new" camera angle. I was so used to the old view. But still, it's like looking out my window onto a street scene.

T minus 12 minutes til the appearance of PGM41.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I don't like how it refreshes. The picture used to stay there the whole time and then just change. Now you have to watch it download. They should be there soon.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

They are there!!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

They're unfurling a SLOWTRAV banner!!

Slow Traveler

I like the looks of everyone walking by, gazing back at the banner! How funny. They should have wrapped the banner around one of the planters so we could be on "sign watch" tonight.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

That was an amazingly clear banner, what great publicity for Slow Trav.

Any idea how many people are watching at any given time???

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Photo 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails current3.jpg  

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Here they are!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails webcam1.jpg  

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

What a rush!! That was fun. They made that great banner and all stood there with it for 5 minutes. Once they had to move to the side to let a car go thru!!

I got about 10 shots and will post them on Slow Trips. Looks like Colleen got some too.

Slow Traveler

That's cool! And the guy in the back is having fun watching those "crazy Americans"

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to do this!

Thank you PGM41 for getting it together so well - considering you just arrived at FCO this morning! Loved the banner.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I uploaded some to SlowTrips . I got one as the van went by and when they were finished.

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> considering you just arrived at FCO this morning! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did that with jetlag?!?! They are troopers! Thanks for the excitement PGM41!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I think PGM41 (what is his name?) and his wife were not jetlagged. It was the other couple who flew in this morning and they all took the train to Sorrento.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pgm41:
    We will be ones with sleepy looking friends who will have flown into FCO that morning. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah, you're right, Pauline. Okay, no extra points for "Being Organized While Jet Lagged."

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

OMG that is so hysterical. I love the banner, too much. Oh, and the guy on his cell phone, LMAO I love it. made my day!!

Ciao, meow,
    Pokey

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Topping so Bill (pgm41) can see this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pauline:
    Topping to remind myself to watch and grab some shots. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Pauline
    Can you tell me how to "grab some shots?"

We will be there in October and my kids want to see us and show us when we get home.

Thanks
    Annsara

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

The same way you capture any image from a website. Right click on the image and select "Save Picture as" - then browse to the folder you want to put it in. Get them to practice on it before you go.

If you start a thread before your trip, setting a date and time, we can watch for you too!!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

This is the first time I saw the pics. Great banner Bill!
    Maybe we could make one and just leave it in the tobacco shop for all slow travellers to use when they are there. Then when they are through, they could autograph it with their SlowTrav member name before they roll it up and return it to the safekeeping of the tobacco shop. At some point, it could go into Pauline's SlowTrav museum.
    By the way...
    Does anyone know what happened to the sidewalk cafe tables that used to be on the street behind the post box? I used to like to see people sitting there having their cafe.
    Deborah Horn
    In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
    www.petsburg.com

Traveler

I, together with my wife and daughter, found the Sorrento webcam, and stood there holding pieces of paper with "Slow Trav" written on, for about 5 or 6 minutes from 7 p.m. local time on June 29. I guess no one saw us at the time.

Kyujik

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Kyujik, I'm sorry we missed you in front of the webcam. It is always so much fun to see people posing there. Are there any webcams in interesting areas of Seoul?
    Pauline, I know how busy you and the moderators are...so this is a suggestion for some time in the future. Perhaps we could have a board devoted just to webcam appearance announcements.
    Sorrento's cam is the best I've seen so far because it is so close to street level. But as more cams are activated we could build a list of them from all over the world. Then when a SlowTraveller is going to be in a city where one is located, they will have a specific board on which to post their planned appearance.
    If I had won the 290M last night I would have created an endowment for SlowTrav webcam development in all our favorite cities. But since I'm as poor this morning as I was last night....
    Deborah Horn
    www.petsburg.com

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

If anyone is going to stand in front of the webcam, they should start a thread on the Italy board with the date and time and place. I then mark it on my calendar and top the post the day before and then the hour before. One of the moderators always watches.

It has worked well this way for all our other sitings. Kyujik didn't tell us he was going to do this, did he? Maybe he did and I missed it.

To be sure, people should email me too - then I will remember.

Traveler

Hi, Deborah. It was fun standing before the Sorrento webcam, with passers-by watching and taking pictures of us, some curious to know what we were doing. But for the dinner appointment at 7:30, we would have stayed there a little longer than we actually did.
    I haven't heard of any webcams in Seoul, but I will ask around.

Kyujik