Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    In another thread it was suggested that travelers not try to pack olive oil in checked or carry-on luggage because it might be confiscated as flammable cargo.

I posted a query to American Airlines (which we'll be flying to Italy) about this, and got this response:

"Olive oil may be permitted inside your checked or carry on baggage with no special packaging required. However, fragile items can only be accepted inside baggage at the customer's risk."

So I'm printing out the email and taking it with us, in case we have any trouble at the check-in desk! This must be one of those things that varies according to airline.

(I thought I'd post this in a separate message, since it's pretty far afield from the subject of the other thread -- buying luggage in Rome.)

Traveler

I brought back evoo <extra virgin olive oil> from both spain & italy in carry-on and had no problems from anyone on the plane or at customs. only headach really was praying the glass never broke, and trying to juggle the evoo bags with other carry-ons. hope this helps

Slow Traveler

Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California (a beach town near San Diego)
    Dear traveler,
    In June I brought a 3 liter can of olive on board with me and when I went thru customs in Rome, they took a sample to insure it was what I declared. No problem and the woman who tested (or tasted it) said it was EXCELLENT oil.........so, in Oct. I brought back a 5 liter can, and again carried it on. No one checked it until I went thru customs in Germany. Same drill. AOK. So, don't worry........do it. ciao, Cheryl

We had been told that wine and oil could be taken ONLY in carry-ons, but apparently that info was either wrong or has been changed. Still not sure I want to risk either one in a checked bag...unless maybe it was a hard sided bag!

We usually bring back olive oil in 5 liter tins, and wrap the handle in a cheap washcloth. Even tho US airlines seem to have cracked down on the sizes, they seem to be pretty tolerant about allowing people to bring back wine or oil an addition to the set number of carryons.

I once taped two 3 bottle cardboard carriers together, making it not only ONE piece, but also giving me one less thing to carry...or should I say, giving my husband one less thing to carry!

Whatever you bring back, I know you'll enjoy it!

Slow Traveler

About a decade ago, at our very first agriturism stay in Radda, the proprietor advised us to not pack olive oil in checked luggage. She said that it might expand and leak out of the bottles. Ever since, we've brought back olive oil in a carryon.

Slow Traveler

I have brought home numerous jars of condiments, bottles of olive oil and wine - sometimes in my checked luggage, sometimes in my carry-on and, sometimes both - anywhere I can make my purchases fit safely. I usually take bubble wrap, tissue paper and tape with me for securing pottery, olive oil, and other things breakable.

This next statement will probably jinx my next trip, but I have never returned home with leaking or broken bottles. I have spent several hours packing for my return flight, all the time wondering why I couldn't have stopped shopping at least two days prior. Yet somehow everything gets packed, despite being a torturous puzzle.
    "I am a Southerner. I like the feel of these words. I could no more be otherwise than I could shed my outer skin or change the color of my eyes." Willie Morris

Traveler

I brought back olive oil and wine in my checked lugggage with no problem. Use your dirty laundry for cushioning and make sure everything is wrapped up (in their bags). You'll be fine.

No stops in customs either.

Slow Traveler

Thanks, Bags Packed and Weldon-Blairs, for describing your experiences.

Packing the olive oil and wine in checked bags would make our return trips easier.

Hello...I just got back from Italy and had no problem bringing 3 bottles of ovoo and 2 bottles of wine...I just wrapped them in paper and carried them on the plane in a shopping bag...I put the bag under my seat and used it for a foot rest...Have a great time...I miss Italy already and I have only been home 3 weeks...Good Luck

apriljoy

Slow Traveler

We just returned this week with a few bottles in carry-on and about a dozen in luggage. No restrictions. No problems. Have been doing it for years. Only once had a bottle break. It makes an astounding mess. Just pack it carefully in your dirty laundry.
    Passionate for Olive Oil & Italy
    www.casadecase.com