Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

We will be visiting London next month with our two grandsons, and I've been researching Harry Potter tours - as they are (no surprise) big fans.

I'd identified a couple of possible walking tours, but also hit the jackpot when I found this site.

I clicked on the link and received a fabulous PDF do it yourself walking tour brochure! Well written and illustrated, it looks like a great way to explore London with a focus that will keep the kids engaged. And, we can do it in small bits, rather than in one big "tour".

I'm definitely taking this along, and will report back when I return.

Thanks, Richard Jones. This is a wonderful resource.

Judy

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

We will be visiting London next month with our two grandsons, and I've been researching Harry Potter tours - as they are (no surprise) big fans.

I'd identified a couple of possible walking tours, but also hit the jackpot when I found this site.

I clicked on the link and received a fabulous PDF do it yourself walking tour brochure! Well written and illustrated, it looks like a great way to explore London with a focus that will keep the kids engaged. And, we can do it in small bits, rather than in one big "tour".

I'm definitely taking this along, and will report back when I return.

Thanks, Richard Jones. This is a wonderful resource.

Judy

Slow Traveler

Thanks Judy - am going to have a look at this one. My daughter has read all the books - I think she'd love it!

Slow Traveler

Thanks, this is great--I am married to the greatest Harry potter fan of all time, so quite look forward to this as a "surprise" in autumn.
    cheers, Meg
    http://megrobb.typepad.com/britishtravel/
    Up the Ben and Down the Boozer

Slow Traveler

The North Cotswolds/Shakespeare Country and Dublin as often as possible.
    Judy - If the grandchildren are really keen, you might like to visit the Oxford locations for the Harry Potter films and show them the colleges at the same time? (Easy to do on a day trip by train from Paddington). You can find out lots more by just googling HP with Oxford but here is a site which might be of interest to Inspector Morse fans as well.
    http://www.visitoxford.org/info-filming.asp

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    And in the Cotswolds, you won't be too far from Gloucester Cathedral, were the cloisters (well worth seeing in their own right) are used for Hogwarts locations in several of the films.

Jonathan

Slow Traveler

This reminded me - I need to print out the free PDF file of the walking tour mentioned in the original post, and it looks fabulous. I love the treasure hunt element to it, and we can split it up over several days if we like.

And we have a booking for the Harry Potter walking tour that runs from the tourist centre in Oxford.

I have to admit to not having read the books or seen all the movies (I've seen bits when the kids were watching the DVDs) but if it gets my daughter willingly into places I'd like to see, then I'm all for it