Slow Traveler

Every now and again I get a private message from a Slow Traveler, but I am unable to respond because I am not a premium member. This is frustrating because I usually have the answer to the person's question and don't want the person to think I have not responded.
    I really don't understand the point of Private Messaging being blocked on this site. Why have it at all if your travelers can't use it?

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Dragonphligh, private messaging is available to Gold Star members.

More about it, here.

Unfortunately, we experience a known problem, still pending, that causes that the gold star, that was should appear to the right of the Gold Star member name, would not be present.

Thus, if a Gold Star member sends a private message to another member, there is, regrettably, no way to know at this time that the other party is also a Gold Star member.

Kim, our Admin, who is working to trace and resolve this problem, is presently away. We will have a status on this matter when she returns.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Hi Dragonphligh - private messaging is not blocked on our site; it is a benefit that is open to all premium (gold star) members, and is available to anyone who chooses to support our site through their membership contribution.

Members also have the option of providing their email addresses in their profiles. If you click on a member's name on any of their posts, you are given the option of "view public profile"; if the member has chosen to display the address as part of his/her profile, you can find it there.

Your question is a good reminder to all of us who are gold star members that including a reply email address in PMs to other Slow Travel members is a good idea.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I would also add that if the other person's question is something that might be of general interest and not against our Rules for business owners, we encourage members to keep discussions in the public forums so we can all benefit.

Also, Dragonphligh, if you put your own email address in your profile, then the other person could email you outside of Slow Travel.

- Roz

Slow Traveler
    If I could add, I tried joining the Gold Star member group a while back and when I click on http://slowtalk.com/groupee/premium It sends me back to the main page.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

aap - thanks for letting us know. We will try to get the broken link corrected as soon as possible.

If you should have an issue like this in the future, click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page to report the problem.

Originally posted by Dragonphligh:
    Every now and again I get a private message from a Slow Traveler, but I am unable to respond because I am not a premium member. This is frustrating because I usually have the answer to the person's question and don't want the person to think I have not responded.
    I really don't understand the point of Private Messaging being blocked on this site. Why have it at all if your travelers can't use it?
    Totally agree. It's ludicrous.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

As someone who has a website with PMs for premium members only, I have to say that I set it up that way so that people were not inundated by unsolicited messages and also so that topics stay on the board where they belong. We had PMs for free for a short while and people complained because they were getting all sorts of messages that they did not want.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Just updating this discussion to say that, as previously announced elsewhere in the forums, the gold stars are now back, and you can sign up for premium membership here.

- Roz

Slow Traveler

I have a pm flashing from a moderator and whenI try to answer it says I am not allowed…also can someone tell me how to contact a moderator if I have questions…thanks

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Hi Jil,

All members can receive PMs; only Gold Star members can create them or respond to them. More info here and here.

You can always alert the Mods by clicking the gold triangle button found at the bottom right corner of each post. If there is a particular Mod you wish to contact, you can click on their name, and on their public profile you should be able to find their slowtravel email address.

Please let us know if you need any other assistance - we're happy to help.

Slow Traveler

I understood that Terry but I was under the impression that this PM from a moderator was asking me to do something and return it…that it would not allow me to do...