I'm going to be in Switzerland and northern Italy and haven't been able to find if there's an equivalent European store simalar to a US CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.

I'm wondering if there's some store I can purchase "daily needs" stuff like shave cream, toothpaste and (a daily need for me), Protein Bars like Atkins or Southbeach.

thanks,
    bert

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

In the area we visit in Abruzzo, there is a large store, similar to a Wal-Mart in what they carry (not sure about the prices), called IPER. I have seen billboards for them in other places in Italy.

Here is their website (in Italian), where you can search for a location near you: IPER

Slow Traveler

most any food market carries most anything you would need in the way of toiletries. they might not have the latest and greatest disposable electric versions that you would find in the states but adequate for travel purposes. i imagine that the larger markets (Coop in Italy) would have protein bars but perhaps not the brands that you are used to. Pack a few for safety. A porchetta pannini is my pick for a hi9gh energy snack!

Slow Traveler

Yes any large supermarket in Italy will stock all that. Brands will vary. Outside of the bars even the smallest shop should have the other items.

Coop is just one chain.

Thanks for the quick responses! I checked out the COOP and IPER - they look like great.

And I found "Migros" in Zurich that sounds wonderful.

bert

Slow Traveler

In Italy, although not in Switzerland, there are the Carrefour stores, huge box stores like Wal-Mart. Carrefour also owns the GS store chain in Italy. You can see the locations here.
    ellen