Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    As suggested by all of you in our Books for Books contest, I've put together all the suggestions into one document, organized by country:

Top Travel Books

If you missed the contest but would like to add your own top five to the list, feel free to post them here (even if you would like to add comments to books already in the list), and I'll update the page.

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Premium Member
    Slow Traveler

Thank you! Very nicely done!!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

For reasons many of you may quickly understand, posting a list such as this is evil!

I've read several of these wonderful books, and, now . . . .

Originally posted by JonJohnsen:
    For reasons many of you may quickly understand, posting a list such as this is evil!

I've read several of these wonderful books, and, now . . . .

So true!

I'm afraid that I am going to add to your pain:

1. Between the Woods and the Water - Patrick Leigh Fermor (Eastern Europe)

2. Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts (India)

3. Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson (Great Britain)

4. The Pilgramage - Paulo Coelho (France/Spain)

5. The Great Railway Bazaar - Paul Theroux (Europe / Asia)

(I know these aren't all travel books but they have inspire me to strap on my walking boots nonetheless!)
    'I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.'
    - Robert Louis Stevenson

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Thanks AnnaMandy, I've added these to our list.

Premium Member
    Slow Traveler

I would like to add A Culinary Traveller in Italy by Beth Elon. It was published in 2006 and includes locations that are off the beaten path, together with recipes. We used this book on our first trip to Italy, following several of her suggestions to find great meals in places we would never have found without this book.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    A Culinary Traveller in Italy by Beth Elon
    One of my absolute favorites as well. I only wish it were available as an e-book, which would be better for travel. I actually wrote the publisher and asked them if they had plans for an e-book. Here's what they replied:
    Putting out Little Bookroom titles in e-book format is a slow, but ongoing process for our small company. So far we have one title, MARKETS OF PARIS 2nd Ed, available as an e-book.

Whereas converting a novel or a biography to e-book format is fairly easy since it's just text, travel books and other books with illustrations and photographs are more involved. The bigger publishers have the budgets to add bells and whistles to their travel e-books such as links and apps and whatnot. (The fact that we consider links and apps as bells and whistles probably illustrates the point we're making: we're a little behind.)
    I did point out to them that this book has no photos or color, and would probably be easier to convert than some others so I hoped they would give it priority.

If anyone else would like to add your voice about getting The Culinary Traveller in Tuscany in e-book format, the publisher's email address is: Yongsun A. Bark, yabark@nybooks.com.

- Roz

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I would like to add A Culinary Traveller in Italy by Beth Elon
    Jan, thanks. I added it to the list. I just want to confirm that it's a Culinary Traveller in Tuscany, not A Culinary Traveller in Italy as I could not find the latter.