Premium Member

Slow Traveler

According to Alitalia's website, nonstop flights between LAX and FCO will increase to daily except Tuesdays from June 1 through the end of September, 2011. October will have the usual five weekly flights, and the winter schedule (beginning late October 2011) will reduce to the usual three flights per week.

Alitalia, which code shares with Delta, has the only nonstop service between Southern California and Rome FCO, with good connections to other domestic Italian cities such as Venice, Milan, Palermo and Catania.

Eastbound flying time is around 11.5 hours, whereas westbound flights take around 12.5 hours.

A Boeing 777-200 aircraft is used, with 42 Magnifica class and 249 economy class seats.

Alitalia 777-200ER landing at LAX from FCO:

http://www.airliners.net/photo...0172e22eb56c91f202b8

Alitalia 777-200ER NEW LIVERY landing at LAX:

http://www.airliners.net/photo...0172e22eb56c91f202b8

Editing title of long-lasting thread

Slow Traveler

Thanks for the update GAC! Another option for us West Coast travelers!
    “Not every part of a vacation can be perfect. Having the expectation that it be so only adds to the straight jacket of pressure that precludes joy.”

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

UPDATED INFORMATION:

According the their website, Alitalia will provide DAILY nonstop service between FCO and LAX during July, August and September 2011. Service for the month of June is daily except Tuesday. Flights will reduce in October to four per week, and further reduce in November to three per week.

These nonstop flights are the fastest way to travel between the greater Los Angeles Area and Rome.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Beginning tomorrow, Alitalia will offer DAILY nonstop flights between FCO and LAX through the end of September. Since Alitalia originally commenced service to LAX in 1984, this is the first year that summer flights have increased to daily.

Here are some "cool" videos of an Alitalia 777-200ER taking off from LAX, and landing at FCO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfE5G0dluNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMvzX5Y-dDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwh2sfkQHG8

Slow Traveler

GAC -

Thank you for posting those links. I love the first one! I am still debating whether to fly the non-stop Alitalia route in coach this winter over business-class flight on US Air that has a layover in Philadelphia.

The business class flight is a couple hundred dollars more than the coach flight on Alitalia and ordinarily there would be no question about which flight to take, but it is so hard to pass up the convenience of flying non-stop from Los Angeles to Rome, even in a coach seat. I can't decide what to do and I only have until the end of June to make my decision on the business class ticket.

Slow Traveler

I need an Italy fix. Thanks for the info.

Slow Traveler

Originally posted by Jayebyrde:

The business class flight is a couple hundred dollars more than the coach flight on Alitalia and ordinarily there would be no question about which flight to take, but it is so hard to pass up the convenience of flying non-stop from Los Angeles to Rome, even in a coach seat. I can't decide what to do and I only have until the end of June to make my decision on the business class ticket.
    I thought the non-stop was fantastic. We have flown to Rome from LA via London (many times), Paris and New York, and this once-on/once-off was such a joy.
    Last month an Italian friend living here, returned to her hometown in Italy with 9 family members. They took the Alitalia non-stop and she couldn't stop raving about it.

(if you do chose Alitalia be prepared for inop movie screens and having to regularly get up and serve yourself ..knowing that I STILL would (and did)chose the non-stop)

Slow Traveler

Originally posted by GAC:
    According to Alitalia's website, nonstop flights between LAX and FCO will increase to daily except Tuesdays from June 1 through the end of September, 2011. October will have the usual five weekly flights, and the winter schedule (beginning late October 2011) will reduce to the usual three flights per week.
    It looks like Alitalia has suspended all their non-stop flights to and from Los Angeles and Rome after October 2011. This will affect their winter schedule only. They haven't issued a formal announcement, but it is no longer a searchable route on their website (all flights are being routed through JFK) and there is a thread on FlyerTalk discussing the subject.

I'm glad I decided to take advantage of USAir's bonus mile sale in June to get a business class ticket (Los Angeles-Philadelphia-Rome) for only a little more than what Alitalia was charging for their non-stop service from Los Angeles to Rome in economy. Comfort over convenience! If I had bought the economy ticket on Alitalia, it looks like I would have been routed through JFK. No convenience there!

Anyone who purchased one of these non-stop tickets through Alitalia for travel from Los Angeles to Rome after October 2011 should contact the airline (if they haven't been contacted already) to find out how this will affect their winter travel plans.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    One story about it, listing their remaining long-haul service. Chicago service is also being eliminated for winter.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

The story, while "unofficial", is almost certainly true, and indeed, not surprising: from my own musings during this past winter, it was apparent that Alitalia's utterly dismal seat occupancy statistics for the winter months between FCO and LAX (well under 50%) could not continue to justify operating the nonstop flight with the large Boeing 777-200ER (or even the smaller Airbus 330-200). Too bad, for those (relatively few) persons wanting and appreciating a nonstop service from November through March.

The hyperlinked report in Andrew's posting above contains a glaring factual misstatement (which very few will recognize) with respect to the soon-to-be-suspended flights to ORD:

QUOTE: "For Chicago, this would be the first time Alitalia temporary suspending the service since it launched the flight in early-1960s (in operation for close to 50 years), and also for the first time there will be no nonstop air traffic service between Chicago and Italy."

The CORRECT information is that Alitalia did in fact suspend its flights between Italy and ORD for six or seven YEARS !!!!!, and specifically between 1975 and (I believe) 1982.

Just a small mistake (and not attributable to Andrew) .....

Slow Traveler

Originally posted by Jayebyrde:
    [It looks like Alitalia has suspended all their non-stop flights to and from Los Angeles and Rome after October 2011. ... Anyone who purchased one of these non-stop tickets through Alitalia for travel from Los Angeles to Rome after October 2011 should contact the airline (if they haven't been contacted already) to find out how this will affect their winter travel plans.
    Thanks for the heads up on this. (Although it wouldn't affect my plans, we would still leave Rome on November 6 for LA, whether through Paris, JFK or Atlanta.)

I just spoke to Alitalia and my reservation is still scheduled as booked.
    I don't believe them, of course, but at least I am prepared to keep an eye on the situation as I would like to chose my option for return flight.

At least I know I still have the non stop going into Rome

Thanks Debra - my husband and I are also on the November 6 flight - I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Slow Traveler

Originally posted by Tootsie:
    Thanks Debra - my husband and I are also on the November 6 flight - I'll keep my fingers crossed!!
    Are you flying Alitalia round trip LA-FCO? We are leaving LA on Oct. 16 and staying the entire time (less one night in Naples) in Rome.

Please let me know if YOU hear anything new.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

The Alitalia, Delta and Sky Team websites at the moment all continue to show the nonstop Alitalia flights between FCO and LAX through at least Sunday November 6.

Slow Traveler

The Alitalia, Delta and Sky Team websites at the moment all continue to show the nonstop Alitalia flights between FCO and LAX through at least Sunday November 6.
    And three phone calls to Alitalia today netted the same information.
    so who knows?

yes, we are flying roundtrip on Alitalia. I depart LA September 10 and my husband departs October 12. We have a house in Tuscany (lucky us) and this is the time for the wine and olive harvest. We always spend some time iin Rome on the way back to California.

Slow Traveler

Originally posted by Tootsie:
    yes, we are flying roundtrip on Alitalia. I depart LA September 10 and my husband departs October 12. We have a house in Tuscany (lucky us) and this is the time for the wine and olive harvest. We always spend some time iin Rome on the way back to California.
    Lucky you, indeed!
    Maybe we will meet for a "last supper" in Rome.

Slow Traveler

I took this flight last month on an itinerary to Sicily.

It was an award ticket and one of the few options available to get a business class ticket at the lowest miles option.

Had to take Southwest to LAX from San Jose to get on this flight. The meal was great. The plane is old though and the seats aren't the best for sleeping.

Great service on board.

I've flown AF mostly for non-stop TATL to Europe. It definitely saves at least a couple of hours each way to take the non-stop.

While I'd prefer not to have to fly down to LAX to board a nonstop flight, it will be good to have this option.

It'd be nice if they can upgrade their planes though. But a couple of years ago, Alitalia was on the brink so I guess they need to take baby steps.

Hey Debra - a last supper would be fun. My email address is sculleyh@gmail.com

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

According to current web schedules, the last Alitalia flight out of LAX for 2011 will be on Sunday November 13. Flights will be suspended for the winter and will resume on Wednesday March 21, 2012.

Takeoff from LAX for FCO:

http://www.airliners.net/photo...cdcbefa3fa7f39e19dcf

Economy class (242 seats):

http://www.airliners.net/photo...a8fbf0ac34d5b089ecec

Slow Traveler

Alitalia's AZ620/AZ621 is scheduled to resume on Sunday, March 25, 2012 and will fly Days 3,6,7 (Wed, Sat, and Sun) - 3 days a week. The equipment is a B777-200 (Not the ER Version).

Source - Travelport Worldspan GDS:
    01MAR-TH-12M FCOLAX(ROMQLA) ** PT
    1.367 #AZ 620 FCOLAX- 915A 125P 772 0
    EFF 25MAR DIS

Slow Traveler

Hmm, nobody wants to go to Rome or connect to other destinations in Italy in November and December?

Slow Traveler

CORRECTION: The 777-200 used by Alitalia is actually the ER (extended range) version but Seatguru.com incorrectly labels it as just the 777-200 version. LAX to Rome distance is beyond the range of the non-extended range model. The confusion may be caused by the fact that 772 can mean either 777-200 or 777-200ER since they have the same capacity of passengers. So if you are going to use Seatguru to pick your seats, the 777-200 label is what you will see. I checked the actual seatmap loaded in GDS and it matches the one in seatguru - Economy from rows 14 to 44.

Slow Traveler

Alitalia will still get you there, but they will route you through the (possible) hell of a JFK winter layover. There are easier/less unpredictable layover cities for that time of year.

I took this flight from Rome to Los Angeles in January of this year and though the plane was old (my seat was broken and my tv screen didn't work) it got me from FCO to LAX with no stops and I would take it again for that reason alone.

Originally posted by wco811:
    Hmm, nobody wants to go to Rome or connect to other destinations in Italy in November and December?

Slow Traveler

I flew down from SFO to LAX to take this flight. Yes it's great to skip landing on the East Coast.

Just hoping Alitalia gets more financially sronger. Maybe they buy some new planes at some point.

Slow Traveler

It still looks like my Oct.16-Nov. 6 direct LAX-FCO-LAX is good.
    I'm so happy about this!

Looks like our next trip will commence on March 25.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Tony is correct: this flight will resume on Sunday March 25, 2012. The Alitalia web schedules which I looked at were ambiguous, but the reservations page gave the definitive answer.

Also, the 777-200ER seats 249 in coach class.

There is insufficient traffic during the winter to justify using such a large aircraft on this route. Alitalia would need a much smaller plane during the winter to reach an acceptable seat occupancy ratio.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Alitalia has ended its nonstop service between FCO and LAX today for the rest of the season (to commence again on March 25, 2012) on a sour note: after recently registering an 83% on-time record for this flight (including today's incoming flight from FCO arriving at LAX eight minutes early), flight AZ 621 took off from the runway at LAX 51 minutes late!

Aside from this regrettable tail-end slip, Alitalia's LAX flights have for the most part been remarkably reliable for most of 2011, with only a handful departing or arriving more than 30 minutes late. Does this record mark a "new" Alitalia, or just a blip on the road? Let's wait and see when the service resumes in late March of next year!

Slow Traveler

Having taken the non-stop, round trip LA to Rome, flight twice this year, and having been stuck in March in a hotel in LA for a delay of 18 hours, I still say this is the best flight out of LA to Rome, hands down.

We just returned last Sunday and are ready to go again~

Slow Traveler

on a sour note: after recently registering an 83% on-time record for this flight (including today's incoming flight from FCO arriving at LAX eight minutes early), flight AZ 621 took off from the runway at LAX 51 minutes late!
    Confirming what our rental apartment owner told us (she is a past employee of Alitalia),
    Alitalia stands for:
    Always Late in Takeoff;
    Always Late in Arrival.

I still love them.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Maybe not "always late in arrival", but certainly late in restoring service to LAX.

Here is more breaking news (taken from AZ's website):

1. FCO/LAX/FCO will not resume until Tuesday, May 1, 2012 (instead of Sunday March 25).

2. Flights will be three per week in May, five per week in June (versus 6 per week in June 2011), daily in July, August and September, and four per week in October (through October 21, 2012). Don't be surprised if these frequencies change again next year!

3. For the very first time on the Boeing 777-200ER aircraft, "Classica Plus" seats will be offered in addition to "Classica" (economy) and "Magnifica" (business). From the seating chart, it appears that Alitalia will convert 12 out of 42 "Magnifica" seats to "Classica Plus", while retaining 30 "Magnifica" seats in the new fully-reclining configuration. That means that both "Classica Plus" and "Magnifica" will be six-across (2-2-2), while "Classica" will remain at nine-across (3-3-3). I expect some sort of press release next year (but you first heard of the development here!)

For the time being, no more Alitalia flights to Los Angeles for the next five and one-half months.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Official Traffic Statistics for 2011 show that Alitalia flew 91,869 passengers between LAX and FCO during 2011 (through November 13, after which flights were suspended for the winter).

The five round-trip flights in November registered a very strong average passenger load of 250 per flight, or a seat occupancy factor of 85.9%, which is amazing for that month. The highest seat occupancy in 2011 was registered during August (88% or 256.5 passengers per flight).

Alitalia ranked an unimpressive seventh among European Airlines serving LAX, having been bested by British Airways, Air France, Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic, KLM, and Swiss, and edging out only Aeroflot and Iberia. Even Turkish and El Al carried more passengers than Alitalia to and from LAX.

LAX passenger totals will be even lower for 2012, because Alitalia will resume service to LAX only on May 1, and operate through the end of October.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

BEWARE: Alitalia is cramming more seats onto its newly reconfigured Boeing 777-200s:

From Alitalia's official seating charts, it appears that the newly reconfigured 777-200s will have 10-across seating in economy class (3-4-3) instead of 9-across (3-3-3). There will be a total of 239 economy seats. (Alitalia is not the only operator which has increased the number of seats per row on its 777s).

Economy-Plus will have 8-across (2-4-2), for a total of 24 seats.

Magnifica Class will have 30 fully-reclining (180 degrees) seats.

http://corporate.alitalia.it/it/group/fleet/b777.htm

It also appears that a few flights between LAX and FCO, at least in May, will utilize the smaller and more modern Airbus 330-200s, with 28 Magnifica, 21 Economy-Plus (2-3-2 across) and 181 Economy (2-4-2 across) seats.

http://corporate.alitalia.it/i...oup/fleet/a330az.htm

NOTE: The seating charts on www.seatguru.com don't show the new configurations.

FCO-LAX-FCO starts up once again on Tuesday, May 1.

Frequency will be as follows:

May: 3 weekly flights
    June: 5 weekly flights
    July/September: daily flights
    October: 4 weekly flights

Here is a press release:

http://www.alitalia.com/IT_IT/...4_shared.aspx?page=2

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Just to be precise, the Alitalia service between FCO and LAX will operate this year from May 1 through November 14 (at least according to Alitalia's website reservation pages).

Slow Traveler

Having flown this route twice last year I can compare it to the flights LAX to FCO on BA, Delta and Air France, none of which are direct.

It is wonderful to have the non-stop option. I might not even care if we are a bit more squished, but I would hope to get the Airbus 2+4+2.

This year, no flight, but will be watching for their Spring, 2013 dates, which I know I can count on you to post!

Thanks GAC

Slow Traveler

Has anybody used miles to book the LAX-FCO-LAX flights, and if so, can you please tell me what the taxes and fees were?

(I've got a bunch of SPG points that can be transferred to a variety of airlines, and since I'm based in Los Angeles, Alitalia's non-stop would obviously be ideal - but I want to avoid those egregious YQ surcharges. I've been using AA miles for some time now, and for those flights, LAX-JFK-FCO-JFK-LAX, I've only had to pay ~$45 in taxes and fees).

Thanks in advance.

Slow Traveler

I flew last June on a Delta award ticket, SFO-LAX-FCO-PMO and back.

It was business class and total taxes and fees came out to $110 and change.

Slow Traveler

Originally posted by wco811:
    I flew last June on a Delta award ticket, SFO-LAX-FCO-PMO and back.

It was business class and total taxes and fees came out to $110 and change.
    That's not bad (compared to BA flights that transfer at LHR). I paid ~$75 to use AA miles on IB (LAX-MAD-FCO), so this isn't much more, thanks wco811!

I'd be booking biz class too. Last time I looked into this I saw that if I booked an AZ award (vs a DL award) that the cost would be 80k miles - which beats the AA MileSAAvers' 100k charge. But obviously there could be a different taxes/fees policy booking directly through Alitalia vs Delta.

I need to research how hard it is to secure these award flights - I'm well versed how to do it on AA, but AZ is new territory. (And it takes quite a bit of planning to secure these on AA, I have to book them 10 months out!)

Thanks again.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    If things haven't changed since I posted this, you can join Air France/KLM's Flying Blue program, and once you're a member, even with no miles, you can see award availability on Alitalia (AZ) flights.

Slow Traveler

Originally posted by Andrew:
    If things haven't changed since I posted this, you can join Air France/KLM's Flying Blue program, and once you're a member, even with no miles, you can see award availability on Alitalia (AZ) flights.
    Thanks Andrew!

I've just been researching on FT's Alitalia MilleMiglia forum and saw a bunch of comments that the best way to find availability is to call (that their website and Expert Flyer can't be relied upon because AZ doesn't transmit to them the correct info, and that they'll have more availability on the phone) - and that you shouldn't waste time with calling your local call center, but should call the Rome number. One guy summed it up this way:
    "If your Italian is understandable, then +39 06 2222 is the number to call wether you're in Italy, England or the French Polynesia..."

But my first concern is financial - and I've seen posts that show that booking the award through AZ means having to pay over twice the amount on taxes/fees than what wco811 paid booking through DL. These FT posts were from last year, and I've just added my question to the thread, so maybe they're not so high now?

But most likely the fees are the same (or higher) than they were in '11, which means even though the AZ award would charge less miles than DL, the financial cost differential wouldn't make this worth it (to me).

So I'll next be researching the Delta forum - and your links! Thanks again.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Alitalia Flight 620 arrived at LAX today from FCO at 13:07, or 13 minutes early.

Slow Traveler

Alitalia Flight 620 arrived at LAX today from FCO at 13:07, or 13 minutes early.
    Another thing I like about these flights. The timing is great, getting us home early afternoon with plenty of time to do some catchup and unpacking before nightfall.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Today, Alitalia (for the first time in history), operated the Airbus 330-200 from FCO to LAX and back to FCO.

The return flight took off from LAX five minutes late (at 15:50), and is scheduled to touch down at FCO tomorrow at 12:20, making for a total airborne flight time of 11 hours, 30 minutes.

The larger Boeing 777-200ER makes the trip in a few minutes less time.

This may have been a test flight for the smaller and newer Airbus, since future flights on this route all appear to utilize the 777. Perhaps Alitalia wanted to test the Airbus on this route with the possibility of using it during timeframes when passenger load is lighter? Or testing it with the intention of using it in the future to SFO?

Slow Traveler

..This may have been a test flight for the smaller and newer Airbus,.
    Oh I hope they do use this from LAX. Maybe they will extend their flight schedules to start earlier than May.

Thanks GAC for keeping us up on the details!