Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Looking for "my" old (pre-change) posts+"search" frustrations

OK - I'm trying to hang in there but my frustration level is high right now .

In trying to respond to a post about rentals in Roma. I have spent way too much time trying to use the search button for an old post of mine about Air bnb rentals in Roma - from last Fall???? No joy there! And I can't seem to find it by looking through my old posts, as they aren't listed - only the 11 I have posted since the change over. Please help..... What am I doing wrong? Do I have to "thumb" through every old post to try to find it???

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I still don't know the answers but after taking a deep breath; taking a walk; making an espresso, I sat down and did a Google search for my old thread - and found it! So I'm feeling less frustrated but I still don't understand why it didn't come up on a slowtravel search and why all our old personal threads/posts have disappeared or did not carry over

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    That is a matter of discussion among the Moderators: there are things missing from the search results.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Thank you Andrew! Pleased to hear it may not just be me...

Slow Traveler

I'm having the same problem that Heidi is having. I was looking for an old post of mine and could not find it. I then tried to look at my posts and only the last 10 or so came up.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Wondering if there is any progress on our "search" engine? Today I was trying to find a recent thread that Doru had started about Palazzo Farnese and this is what came up! Very old, incomplete search results.... Everyone seems so concerned about the truly awful ads that show on the threads, but loosing search capabilities really hobbles my use of slowtalk. It makes me

I'm attempting to put together some information for my niece and her husband on fascinating, must-see sites in Roma for their upcoming trip but I've hit a wall, as I can't access my old posts ~ there are only the last 14 I've posted since our forum change, though my profile shows I've posted 1,191

I'm trying to be patient. I just asked another poster to be patient about slow apartment reviews. I do understand Kim has been overwhelmed but I do wonder if this is a permanent blow to our once wonderfully resourceful forum or - fingers crossed - if there a fix coming soon....Please help.........

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    The search issue is a big problem, and I don't know where it stands on the bug fix list. But Google is actually a pretty good workaround. Go to their Advanced Search page, enter your search terms, then scroll down to site or domain, and enter slowtalk.com .

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    IB Noted that the search results weren't correct but said it's because of vbulletin's inadequate search algorithm they said they were going to do some sort of google search plugin (but as far as I can tell, they have not). I told them though, we had the same issue on the test site and I'm pretty sure all they needed to do was re-index in order to fix but I haven't heard back.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

And I just received this reply

Hi Kim, not sure we'll be able to work on this implementation soon.

Most of the Dev team is out on PTO now and we have a number of very urgent projects that we need to get done on MySummerCamps, KidsCamps and BBOnline in January and February.

Very little bandwidth for any additional project. But we'll keep this in the back burner and we'll get back to it as soon as we are a little less busy.

Happy New Year!!

N
    So there you have it. I don't think Internet Brands intends to spend any more time on these issues related to the new forums as Nicola seems to have pulled my technical support.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Kim said:
    So there you have it. I don't think Internet Brands intends to spend any more time on these issues related to the new forums as Nicola seems to have pulled my technical support.
    Unbelievable! What are we? Chopped liver? Have we been abandoned? I'm so sorry Kim, you must feel so frustrated......

Dare I ask? Will we ever get our "old" posts back on our individual profile page??? Lost forever in the black hole of thread content on SlowTalk?
    Last edited by Heidi; 01-03-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    The search issue is a big problem, and I don't know where it stands on the bug fix list. But Google is actually a pretty good workaround. Go to their Advanced Search page, enter your search terms, then scroll down to site or domain, and enter slowtalk.com .
    Thanks Roz! I have been using Google search to help find some of the wonderful content we have hidden here on SlowTalk but I had never used their Advanced Search. That is a great workaround our search engine.