Slow Traveler

Independent travel to Israel - the work to be done...

I'm attaching an article that appeared yesterday in Israel's Ha'aretz newspaper, about some of the problems independent travelers encounter while traveling to the country, and how the tourism sector should start addressing this type of traveler more seriously.
    Might interest those of you considering a trip here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    I'm attaching an article that appeared yesterday in Israel's Ha'aretz newspaper, about some of the problems independent travelers encounter while traveling to the country, and how the tourism sector should start addressing this type of traveler more seriously.
    Might interest those of you considering a trip here.
    thanks that was interesting

Slow Traveler

I took a tour to Israel last fall. Normally I don't like tours, but I wanted to see Israel and a group of friends were going so I jumped at the chance. Due to the events going on in the Middle East last fall, over half of the total number of travelers on our prebooked tour cancelled, and that left us with a smallish tour group of 23 people. Lucky for us. After being there I would agree with this article. Independent travel would be doable, and you would of course get more choice in how to spend your time, but it would be a lot of work and cost a lot more money.

The cost of the trip I took, for almost 3 weeks, only cost about $1500.00 more than the airfare alone would have cost me if I had booked it myself. This was a discount tour company, but they included lots of sites that would have been harder to get on my own, and a lot of meals too. Our guide was an Israeli and very knowledgeable and entertaining, and available pretty much 24/7 for questions.

After doing it, I think that I should have skipped out on some of the prearranged tours and ventured out on my own more often. It still would have been a deal. But some of the people I was traveling with were not very mobile and wanted the security of having all of their transportation arranged. We had a fair amount of free time though and I was able to wonder off on my own on a couple occasions.

All in all, while I still would prefer to travel independently, I can see why so many people opt for tours. It's easy, you get to see places you might not ever go otherwise, it can be a good value for your money, and if you have health issues it's nice to know that there is always someone around to make sure you can get where you need to be.

In 2011, on a 10-day trip, I did several day tours in Israel, and I went on a 3-day/2-night actual tour (the first time I've done this). This 3-day tour was arranged with the governmental organization Egged. Although somewhat more than I typically spend, it was totally worth it. We had a very knowledgeable native Israeli guide with an interesting history and life. The tour group was diverse, with people of different religions and ethnicities and countries (and there were only 5 or 6 of us). The guide knew the area very well and took us numerous spots that would have been very difficult to do if you were driving on your own and trying to see stuff too. I had plenty of opportunities during my trip to interact with locals, both on and off the tour. I stayed in two kibbutz hotels.

http://www.eggedtours.com/