Slow Traveler

Bucket List Time!

The world is a big place!

Where is the one destination that you must see or return to before you die?

Now the tough part… Why?

Me, I want to return to Salamanca Spain with my wife.

It was 1972 and we were study abroad students and fell in love.
    We have not returned since then. It is time to go!
    "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” - Emerson

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I just asked my wife yesterday if she wanted to do return trips to any of our past destinations. The answer was, "Not yet". Our normal trip is always extended time in Italy with side trips to "somewhere else" either as part of our Italy trips or in shorter trips in other parts of the year. We've been able to visit 40 countries in that way. We did do two "have always dreamed of" trips this past summer in visiting the Inca Trail (Machu Picchu) and then Easter Island, but there's no other place that I have on that bucket list. I used to have the Great Wall on there, but the older I get, the less anxious I am to do extremely long flights and Europe and South America are just fine.

On a related note, the first trip my (not yet) wife and I took was to Spain -- started a lifetime together and a lifetime of travel (sigh).

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I have two. First I would love to see the polar bears in Churchill in Canada and second I would love to go to New Zealand. I am considering both for my birthday next year. New Zealand is because I fell in love with the book Battle Cry when I was in grade school and polar bears because they may not be there soon.
    BJ's and Alan's Adventures
    "One’s destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." – Henry Miller

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

My list is still all about Italy:

Rome for Christmas.
    Amalfi coast in Spring
    Piemonte for truffle season.

My husband has always wanted to go to Australia but Italy seems to keep winning.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Back to Australia and New Zealand one day. Was fortunate enough to work in Australia for a few months when I was 25 (working for an international accounting firm...did a short=term exchange). Would love to go back, but it will have to wait for retirement...not going to go unless I can stay at least a month!

Anne

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I would return to the Alpe di Siusi in the Dolomites in a heartbeat - it truly lifted my heart.

New Zealand has always been on my bucket list, too, but I will wait til after I retire, so I can make a decent time's trip out of it.

Slow Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by BJinNM View Post
    ... fell in love with the book Battle Cry when I was in grade school
    One of my favorite books of all times and one of my favorite authors!
    My father could have been a character in that book.
    He was always very quiet about those years and that book help me understand why.

I am up for New Zealand and some great Sauvignon Blanc
    "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” - Emerson

Cool Bucket List Time!

Here I sit in warm Australia envious of all those closer to Europe than we are.I am trying to work out a way to convince my DH that surely it is more important to travel than to renovate the laundry as you never know when life is going to change. He doesn't sound convinced though. However my bucket list and not in any particular order is:

More of Italy (I am in love with the country especially Rome)
    Spain ( The history)
    Falling leaves festival Japan (Would be beautiful to see)
    England,Scotland and Ireland (That green countryside is something to behold)
    Antarctica (Looks an amazing place)

Just as an off note does anybody else feel they are a bit greedy about wanting to travel more. I feel that I should be grateful for the five trips to Europe that we have done since 2009. The more we travel the more I want to travel if that makes sense.

Jann

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I had made a bucket list when I was younger. The list largely focuses on sightseeing, which has no appeal to me any more.
    I would like, before I become too decrepit and untravelworthy, to take a long train trip around southeast Asia, also seeing parts of China, a country that is being destroyed so fast.
    Corsica.
    Spain other than Barcelona, San Sebastian, Seville, Granada, where I have been going every year or every two years.

Slow Traveler

I'd like to spend several months of each year in Italy once the kids go off to college. During one of those long stretches, I'd like to jump a plane to London for a few days and immerse myself in everything related to Tudor history.

France is calling to me - but I know very little about the country. I'd like to go in the countryside near fields of lavender and just be.

When each of my girls turn 16, I'd like to take each of them alone on a Mom/daughter trip where they pick the destination. So far, they want to see Paris and China. They are only 6 & 8 so I'm sure that will change.

I'd like to return to Germany - spent a few months there in high school - and exercise my German again. A Germany/Switzerland/Italy trip is currently in the early planning stages.

My husband is an international freight pilot and has been everywhere. As a result, he usually defers to my travel desires.
    Venice & Tuscany 2011 romance trip | Emilia-Romagna & Piedmont 2013 foodie trip | Venice & Florence 2015 girls trip | Rome, Tuscany & Venice 2017 kid experiences summer trip | Northern Italy & Austria 2017 fall romance trip

Slow Traveler

Sometimes you have friends from abroad that visit you, or people you meet while travelling, that offer you an open invitation to come and see them in their homes - places you've never been. You stay in contact, and always say that you'd really like to come and visit, but the opportunity to travel to their corner of the world never presents itself easily.

I'd like to be able to go and see them sometime.

A nice couple in Ireland that have a farm and produce dairy products from raw milk.
    A family in a small village in Switzerland.
    A musician friend in a small place just outside Paris.
    Someone out in British Columbia, and quite a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Colo View Post
    One of my favorite books of all times and one of my favorite authors!
    My father could have been a character in that book.
    He was always very quiet about those years and that book help me understand why.

I am up for New Zealand and some great Sauvignon Blanc
    A visit to Blenheim in the Marlborough region in NZ (January or February for best weather) - very relaxing and some nice places to stay along with great local food - I spent my first 16 years living there, and now when I go back (my parents are still there) it is a great destination for enjoying the nice things in life. Otherwise, a lot of other great places to visit around the South Island.

Traveler

I use the term "to see" list instead of bucket list and it just keeps growing. On my list are Petra, Jordan and Mont St. Michel, France. Of course, I want to go everywhere and see it all, but time and money limit us.

One place I will continue to return to is Amsterdam. We have spent 2 very short (4 days) visits there and want to go back for a month at least. With retirement in 3 years, more things are possible!
    Guiderchachi

"I haven't been everywhere, but it is on my list."