Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

NYT Travel: 'In Asia, Tastes of the Sea'

There's a rather lovely article in the recent NYT Travel section, here, where a number of chefs and writers describe their favourite Asian seafood experiences.

Among these is Robyn Eckhardt's piece on Laksa in Penang, Malaysia. Especially good timing, since P and I are in Malaysia at the moment, and heading for Penang tomorrow. Actually, this whole trip is really thanks to Robyn's various writings (some of you may know her wonderful blog, Eating Asia. It was there that I first read about the island of Langkawi and the absolutely gorgeous Bon Ton resort - beside whose lagoon I'm writing this, as the sun is about to go down.

And Robyn, who lives in Penang, gave me some really useful advice about staying in Penang, about our itinerary, and much more - I'm very grateful to her, and keen to plug her writing (and her husband's fantastic photography) whenever I can!

This was our first time in Malaysia - and I know it won't be our last...

Jonathan

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

I have a photo of that sunset over the lagoon as a screensaver, from our trip to Malaysia last year - lovely memories.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	703.0 KB 
ID:	16551

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    I heart Penang, loved the food.
    We stayed at the E&O right before it was being overhauled. I feel very lucky to have known the last days of one of those fabled hotels of Asia, built by the Sarkies brothers. Sadly they are being mall-ified one by one, la Raffles.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Yes, Panda, we had two lovely evenings of sunset drinks by that lagoon - during one, a spectacular 2-ft-long water monitor lizard slid into the water and swam lazily across in front of us.

AiP, we walked through the E&O gardens yesterday afternoon - the whole place is now looking rather generically luxurious. I'd have loved to have seen it pre-refurb. But there's a new generation of boutique 'heritage' hotels in Georgetown, which have real character; ours (Campbell House) is excellent.

And yes, the food is truly wonderful!