Slow Traveler

Business trip to Singapore

I'll be heading to Singapore in April, for three day conference, but because of travel times, I'll probably be in country for about 5 days.

The conference is at the Marina Sands, and hopefully that will also be our hotel

I'm going to try to get in as much sightseeing as I can. Anyone got any advice for must do things during a quick trip?

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

My husband travels frequently to Singapore on business and I have had a few trips there over the past few years of a few days duration ( was there in January but only passing through ! ).

Fort Canning - colonial and WW2 history ( my father was there in the immediate aftermath with the RAF, spoke sparingly and movingly about what he saw, which made my visit very poignant)

The Quays - along the river, restored, colourful traders houses, many now housing restaurants. It is a lovely walk along both sides of the river ( though the humidity can be quite something)

Raffles Hotel - the sweet little museum is now closed and the bar is over run with tour groups stepping out of their buses to just have an overpriced and not great Singapore Sling, but the main hotel is surprisingly quite accessible to the casual visitor ( some bits residents only) access through the little shopping arcade . I was transported back to a rather more elegant time, imagining myself in drifting linen dresses ......

The cricket pitch - still there amongst the high rises.

Gardens by the Bay - near the Marina Sands. Amazing indoor gardens - I have not been there but have seen the outside. My husband has and recommends !

Chinatown - a great amble through eyeopening food stalls and good snack stops. Blends into Little India, with, again , lots of interesting tiny shops and a very large and colourful Hindu temple that is well worth the visit.

Food is great - spicy crab at The Red House at Robertson Quay: yum and triple yum.

You will enjoy your trip - Singapore airport is excellent and so efficient: how airports should be !
    Last edited by Panda; 03-07-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    We had 2 separate nights in Singapore last month, bookending a trip to Malaysia. We didn't have time to do any proper sightseeing in the island - but I'd absolutely agree with Panda that Changi airport is a wonderful oasis of calm.

We actually stayed our first night at the Marina Bay Sands. The rooftop pool is indeed spectacular, and the jacuzzis up there give you a wonderful view of the sunrise over the bay, if you can get yourself up there pre-breakfast.

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Chinatown's Maxwell Road food centre, and evening food at the Tekka Centre in Little India: both places are hawker-style food stalls, eating at communal tables with a largely local population: very different from some of the fine dining experiences at MB Sands's restaurants, but undeniably authentic!

Slow Traveler

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this trip. I've never been anywhere in Asia before.

Slow Traveler

Singapore

Take the river tour. They used to sell a 24 hour (2X) ticket so you can take the tour during the day and then at night.
    Wander around Chinatown and Indiatown.
    For a nice quiet getaway - the Chinese Gardens.
    The Botanical Gardens.
    The Quays - Clarke Quay, Robertson Quay etc. (nightlife and restaurants)
    Food to try: Chili crab, chicken rice, bakkwa (sweet BBQ pork jerky)
    The Raffles hotel / Chijmes Area
    Orchid Street Malls/Shopping or for a bit of the old time - Bugis Street market
    Last edited by avvocato; 03-09-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Slow Traveler

The conference (http://www.interpol-world.com/) runs from Tuesday, April 14 through Thursday, April 16. It looks like I'll be leaving home on the 12th, arrive in Singapore on the 13th, and come home on the 17th.

Hopefully I'll have time to be a tourist

Slow Traveler

Oh, and we (four co-workers and I) are staying in the Marina Sands, which looks incredible.

Slow Traveler

Another vote for food hawkers and chili crab and also chicken rice.

I don't know if they still have it, but I did a visit to the zoo at night in the dark - it was a really different experience.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Some great ideas here - I'm bookmarking for our stopover (5 days) on our way home in October.