Going to Turkey: Suggestions needed

Since there has been no action here guess I will get 2016 off by going to Turkey.
    I have been there once before (Ephesus and Cappadocia) but it was a long long time ago. Need to be updated. Hotels, places to eat.
    I have seen the traditional sites in Istanbul (spent 2 days there) but want to see more in depth or off the beaten track things. Open for suggestions on Istanbul and surrounding area. Also Petra as I plan to move on to there after Istanbul.
    thanks in advance

edited to make subject more descriptive
    Last edited by TourMama; 04-01-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

We're hoping to have a week in Turkey later this year too so hoping someone might add some current info as it's been nearly 40 years since I was there. For Aussies, Anzac Cove and the Gallipoli Peninsular have special significance and we'll definitely revisit to see where my grandfather fought in WW1 - probably with a guide. Friends took a dawn hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia & loved it.

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    We're hoping to have a week in Turkey later this year too so hoping someone might add some current info as it's been nearly 40 years since I was there. For Aussies, Anzac Cove and the Gallipoli Peninsular have special significance and we'll definitely revisit to see where my grandfather fought in WW1 - probably with a guide. Friends took a dawn hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia & loved it.

Any other suggestions?
    no one responded so hoping your post brings out some tips

Slow Traveler

It has been 5 or 6 years since I was in Turkey... so may not remember much, and since you've been, I don't want to repeat hat you already know, but here are some highlights:

I thought Cappadocia was great, and loved staying in this cave hotel

http://www.gamirasu.com

We flew from Izmir to Ankara and hired a guide from there, will try to find info if you'd like. There is a terrific archeology museum in Ankara,
    the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, which was a good intro to art, history, etc of Anatolia. Having the driver/guide for Cappadocia was really helpful.

Since you have been to Istanbul, maybe you know of the Ciya restaurants... there was a New Yorker article several years ago about them:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...memory-kitchen

The author, Elif Batuman, has written several other articles about Turkey... worth a read.

What other interests do you have? That might help...

Loved Turkey!

Slow Traveler

Don't know what's appropriate here so I trust the moderators to edit/censor as needed, but is this really a safe time for you to be travelling to Istanbul?

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Allen, I think your comment is valid - we're certainly making sure any bookings we make are refundable (& we have travel insurance). While I'm fairly cautious about the current political environment, when I last visited Turkey (1977) there were riots in Ankara & Istanbul. For me it's about being sensible and not taking unnecessary risks while enjoying all the country has to offer.

kfrer, the Gamirasu looks great! Do you have any other recommendations for accommodation?

Thanks!

Slow Traveler

Sounds like a prudent plan, Chris. When we were in a less tumultuous Istanbul 4 years ago, we loved it and especially benefited from a highly enjoyable guided 'food tour' that we shared with only one Italian couple, and which also served to give as an excellent orientation to several lesser touristed neighborhoods.
    Hope it all works out well for you.

Slow Traveler

Chris,

That hotel was great.... and one night there was a Sufi ceremony (swirling dancers, etc) in a smaller cave across the ravine, will
    never forget that! We were lucky in that there was a large group of some sort visiting, big dinner and entertainment, which we could see from
    out rooms.
    I was also lucky enough to stay with a friend in Istanbul, who also has a house along the Aegean coast, so only had hotel in
    Cappadocia, and one night in this place, along the Aegean coast in a lovely town called Ayvalik

www.baynihat.com.tr

Very nice, and they have a seafood restaurant a few steps away, along the seafront, that we also liked.

Other friends stayed at the Hotel Ayasofya in Istanbul... looked good to me
    http://www.ayasofyahotel.com

and other friends stayed here, more recently, and liked it:
    http://www.ottomanhotelimperial.com/hotel.php

I did not get around more than that... Istanbul for a week with a friend, then a trip down the coast and another stay with a friend, and then the side trip to Cappadocia.