Slow Traveler

Baltic Cruise - What To Wear??

We're heading to Copenhagen on Wednesday, then will depart on a Baltic Cruise visiting Berlin, Tallinn Estonia, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm. I had thought my cotton knit slacks from Land's End would be absolutely perfect, but now with the forecast showing highs in the mid to low 70s. I'm wondering if they will be too warm. And what about T-shirts? I was prepared for cooler temps! I have 4-5 long sleeve cotton knit T-shirts, figuring I'm going to need to wear my raincoat every day and that it will be very warm - but what if it's in the 70s? Will I be too hot? Sheesh! this is complicated! The possibility of rain is always there for all our stops, so the raincoast will be factored in. I have 2 short sleeve shirts packed now, I'm thinking about adding 1-2 more, and taking out 1 long sleeved shirt. I don't want to pack too much!!

Slow Traveler

Hi Barb,

You really have to be prepared for warm, cool and rain in that part of the world so layers are always a good idea. It will probably be cool in the mornings and then time to shed by the afternoon.

We will be doing a Baltic cruise next June so would appreciate some comments and tips when you return. Will you be taking the ship's tour or a private guide in St. Petersburg? There are a few that always get recommended on Cruise Critics so we'll go with one of those which will be a lot less expensive than what the cruise line offers. We have two overnights in St. Petersburg and I'm tempted to do the Moscow excursion. It will be a very long day but a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Buon Viaggio!

Carole
    Last edited by LoveItaly; 06-22-2016 at 03:58 AM.

Slow Traveler

St Petersburg

We did a Baltic cruise 3 years ago and had 2 days in St Petersburg. We booked Alla Tours and were very happy with them. The tour guide was great ( a criminal lawyer) and we saw all places we wanted to see. Response to emails was within 24 hours ( we are Australian).
    Our travel agent was very worried about visas and wether we would be allowed off the ship, but as long as you have the tickets, along with your passport when getting off the ship there was no problem. As long as you are with a registered company or a ship tour they arrange a visa.
    Alla may suggest you join a group set up from cruise critic which we did.

We Really enjoyed the Vasa Museum in Stockholm and would recommend a visit there. I also loved the cruise in through the archipelago. It is worth getting up early I'd you cruise through before docking around 8am.

Here is our blog about St Petersburg. The site isn't working well but if you go to the archives you can see a bit more of our cruise.
    http://www.thefletchers.com.au/The_F...urg_Day_1.html

Jill

Barb is on her way now. Have a great trip.
    I arranged a 2 day excursion with Red October.ru (did not require a deposit like USA site did). It was excellent. 6 passengers, 1 guide, 1 driver. At that time the tour company provided the Visa requirement, we just had to send our passport info to them at time of booking and show the tour ticket as we arrived at the pier. THIS MAY HAVE CHANGED. Get up to date info on this requirement---cruise line warned us not to book privately. Also, allow plenty of time returning to ship on your 2nd day We got in to a terrible traffic jam.
    The Vasa museum in Sweden was nice too.
    A great way to see these places.

Slow Traveler
    We're in Copenhagen! For our tours we also go to the Cruise Critic's message board and book private tours - the ships tours are just too expensive! Gotta run -

Slow Traveler

Hi Barb,

Hope you're having a wonderful trip. When you get a chance will you let me know what tour company you booked in St. Petersburg and if you would recommend them. Thanks.

Carole

Slow Traveler
    We're home! Altho the flights both to and from Copenhagen were hell (due to United airline screw-ups), the cruise was fantastic. In the end I wish I'd had more short sleeves and capris because the weather was beautiful 99% of the time, with mild to warm temps and almost zero rain!

For every city EXCEPT St Petersburg we used SPB Tours, and I believe there was a discount for booking multiple tours.

For our 2 days in St Petersburg we used a private guide, Victoria Pushel. We found her via the Cruise Critic's website/forum when we joined with 6 other people. They had used Victoria for their previous visit to SP and loved her. Her love for her city, for art and for history made our time in St Petersburg very special. We were able to visit both the Hermitage and the interior of Peterhof an hour before general admission, which was a tremendous advantage. You can contact her at vpushel@mail.ru or vpushel@yahoo.com For anyone traveling to St Petersburg, via ship or land, I would highly recommend Victoria.

Slow Traveler

Barb, glad to hear you had a great cruise and warm weather which is encouraging.

Thanks for the tour recommendations. I know SPB gets rave reviews on Cruise Critics. I'll also look into what Victoria has to offer.

Carole