Premium Member
    Slow Traveler

Switzerland Tips

We are heading to Switzerland and Italy on Sept. 2. We land in Zurich and plan on spending about a week in Switzerland and then 3 weeks in Italy. In Switzerland we are interested in moderate hikes (no mountain climbing!) and also my wife wants to paraglide off an Alp (I will be the picture taker). I've done some research and Grindewald seems to be a good location for both. Anyone out there with experience there or elsewhere? Any B&B or guesthouse recommendations? Thanks.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Grindelwald - Lauterbrunnen area is an excellent choice. Superb public transportation within and to either valley. Public tran up the mountainsides and easy paths between locals in the high ground.
    My missus and I took the Post Bus to Grosse Scheidegg and walked the path to First. Outstanding - see photo. Also the downhill stroll from Murren to Gimmelwald is a treasured memory for us.First pan 1.JPG

Premium Member
    Slow Traveler

Thanks, we just secured a place through Air BNB in Grindelwald for 3 nights. Looking forward to watching my wife paraglide and then to the hiking!

Paul, please let us know how you get on with your 'moderate' hikes. My wife and I are seriously giving some thought to the Bernese next year (it is so expensive around there though) but she fancies easy walks nowadays. My ego won't allow me to think that I cannot manage a good, hard slog up a hill but I do not like hiking without my sweetheart every single day. We were there for a brief time during our honeymoon ages ago, and I was on the outskirts of Bern for a week with a bunch of Brits on a football (soccer) trip as a young man. Something that is probably only funny to me and those who were there at the time, before one of the games my team lined up at the halfway line and each one of us was given a box as a gift. We all thought it was some sort of plaque or sculpture but it turned out to be a can of Ovaltine. I kept mine to harden over the years and have since carved it into a 'Player of The Tournament' trophy with my name on it, the only sport's trophy I have ever won. It's on the mantlepiece, next to my Man Booker Prize.

Tom, re your lovely photo, is that a nice, easy walk? Any more like that and did you use public transport only in the region?

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Back in our early 60's we sought out easy walks and found the route via Post Bus to Grosse Scheidegg than a mile plus amble to Schrecfeld to be of our liking. One could hike up 700 feet or so to First or take the cable car. The photo was taken above the First station and restaurant. You could then walk down 3500 feet to town or take the gondola ride. The "map"at this https://voyagista.com/2013/10/07/swi...oberland-top5/ shows this walk as number 11 on the left side.
    A gentle 900 foot downhill is Murren to Gimmelwald, which is on the right but without showing the paved walkway.
    Seeking a mountain peak - we favor Schilthorn (up from Murren) over the Jungfraujoch.
    Photo is nearing the top at Schilthorn station.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 peaks.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	16844

Premium Member
    Slow Traveler

I'll post some trip info once we are back. We are staying at an Air BnB location and the owner seems very helpful - hopefully he will point us in the right direction. We live in Vermont, so have some hiking experience, but are not interested in real serious stuff - just recreational hiking. By the way, I'd love to see a picture of that Ovaltine trophy, Peter!