Discount cards in Holland--advice needed

We will be spending one night in Ghent, 6 nights in Amsterdam starting Sept 18. I have read in Lonely Planet about all kinds of discount cards--The Holland card, the Amsterdam card, the museum card, some kind of travel card, discounts for people over 65 etc. Does anyone have experience with these? If so, do you have any recommendations? Ideally, we would like to get something before we go, but it seems that most of them have to be obtained over there. We will mainly be visiting museums and traveling on public transport.

Slow Traveler

My husband and I spent 10 nights in Amsterdam in late January 2015. My focus for the trip was to study paintings in the van Gogh museum, the Rijksmuseum and the Stedlijk museum so we rented an apartment close to the Museumplein. I bought a museum card for 60 euros at the van Gogh museum.and hubby purchased the IAMcard for 69 euros at the tourist center across from the main train station. We were both very satisfied with them. His card included public transportation and passes to a wide variety of museums. It was wonderful for me to walk a block to the museum of my choice at opening time, take a break midday and return for late afternoon or evening hours. Amsterdam is very walkable so we would often meet up for lunch and sightseeing on foot. We took a bus tour to Brugge, definitely worth a visit, and on another day rose at 5:00 AM to take public transportation to see the flower auction. I can give more details on that if you are interested. Both cards were very easy to purchase once we were there but remember, we were there in January so probably less crowded. Have a great trip.
    Jeanne

Thank you, Jeanne, that's very helpful.