London to All Belgian Stations by Eurostar

I just bought our tickets from London to Brussels, but the ticket actually says to all Belgian stations.We will be changing in Brussels for Ghent. Does this mean we can board any train to Ghent? Or do I need to go to a ticket office and get a ticket with a seat number on it for Ghent? I presume that going from Ghent to Amsterdam the next day means that I will need a new ticket?

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    The site www.seat61.com is especially good for information on trips between London and the Continent. Using their pull-downs for London to Belgium > London to Antwerp, Ghent, etc. , they say:
    If you buy a Eurostar ticket to Any Belgian Station, it's valid by Eurostar to Brussels and then by any suitable connecting train service from Brussels to anywhere in Belgium as long as you complete the journey within 24 hours of the Eurostar arriving in Brussels. You can't use high-speed Thalys or ICE trains, but Belgian InterCity (IC) trains are fine.
    [...]
    Trains generally run hourly or half-hourly between Brussels and all main Belgian cities, no reservation is necessary, you just hop on and find any empty seat.

Slow Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
    Does this mean we can board any train to Ghent? Or do I need to go to a ticket office and get a ticket with a seat number on it for Ghent?
    Yes, you can board any train to Ghent. You do not need to get a new ticket. The ticket you have is what you need to show the conductor. There is no seat assignment on this leg of your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
    I presume that going from Ghent to Amsterdam the next day means that I will need a new ticket?
    You presumed correctly.

We just did this last month.
    Simply travel, travel simply.

Being in Paris

Thanks, Andrew and Just Travel.

Eurostar to All Belgian stations

Just to clarify: We get off in Brussels, take the train to Ghent that same day. I assume the ticket is good for only ONE Belgian station within 24 hours? So we couldn't go from Ghent to Bruge that afternoon on the same ticket, correct?

Slow Traveler

from the Eurostar website

quoting:

How does an Any Belgian Station ticket work?

As the name suggests, an Any Belgian Station ticket covers travel all the way from the UK to anywhere in Belgium and back.

Youíll travel with Eurostar to Brussels-Midi/Zuid (itís one station, it just has a French and a Dutch name), then itís a simple change to an SNCB train to continue your journey through Belgium. High speed Thalys and ICE trains, as well as the Brussels Metro and trams arenít covered by your ticket.

You wonít have a seat booked on the local train, so just hop on and find a seat Ė in first class if you have a Standard Premier or Business Premier ticket.

Thereís no need to rush your connection. As long as you carry on within 24 hours, you can spend a little time in Brussels en route. On the way home, you can arrive in Brussels any time within 24 hours of your Eurostar departure. Perfect for a moules-frites pit stop to break up the journey.

Simply travel, travel simply.

Being in Paris