Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Atlantic Coast itinerary

Hello Friends!

Next summer we will be in France for 6 weeks. We have all but the last week planned; right now our trip will either end with a jaunt up the Atlantic Coast from Sare OR with a week in Paris (still coming from Sare). We have been in Paris many times and never tire of its beauty and culture. The Atlantic coast intrigues us, but we would be rambling aimlessly (not a real problem, to be sure).

I'm curious if any of you have an "itinerary" or suggestion of Atlantic destinations. We have been to Bordeaux and are not looking to visit again on this particular trip.

So, anyone? Ideas?

Thank you in advance,
    Laura

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    La Rochelle-Ile de Ré is a good mid-point base ont he Atlantic coast.
    I believe Amy visiited the area, especially La Rochelle, recently and really liked it. You may want to look up her travel reviews.b
    Another beautiful spot us southern Brittany, wich many Plus Beaux Villages.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

While we were based inland in the Charente region, we did daytrip to La Rochelle and enjoyed the city enough to want to revisit for a longer stay in the future. It's a charming and vibrant city, and you can easily get to all sorts of interesting places. I could definitely see spending time in La Rochelle, and with its glorious market, I'd want a kitchen. The town tourist office was helpful on our visit, they may have resources to download.
    (Our thought for future exploration in the area was to train from Paris for stays in Bordeaux and La Rochelle, then pick up a car to travel down in the the Basque) My Charente blog entries are here. https://argilman.wordpress.com/category/charente/
    Amy in MA
    Destination Anywhere

"A traveler without knowledge is a bird without wings."--Sa'di, Gulistan (1258)

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Thank you both!

Slow Traveler

We spent a day a few years ago driving the circumference of the Arcachon basin. Started the day by climbing the lighthouse at the tip of Cap Ferret and ended the day climbing the massive Dune du Pilat. We really enjoyed the relaxed pace of the day. For lunch, we had oysters on the wharf in Gujan-Mestras.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Thank you! We've booked a few days, so we'll be able to explore your suggestions.

-Laura

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

The Ile de Noirmoutier off the coast of the north Vendee is a pleasant day's visit or detour. Reached either by a long and sweeping bridge or, if the timing is right, by a causeway that is revealed at low tide. Lots of salt farms around ( and plenty of shops that sell packs of it), picturesque fishing ports and long beaches. There was a great kitchen equipment shop in the main small town - I would go back just to get some of the pretty blue pottery that we bought !

Slow Traveler

If you like oysters, go to the town of Marennes and over to the Ile d'Oléron (by bridge), and especially to the fishing port called La Cotinière. It's north of Royan and south of La Rochelle.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Ken and Panda,
    Noted! and thank you!! Insider info is what I'm looking for.

-Laura