Traveler

Interesting & Useful Website: Atlasobscura.com

Anybody else use www.atlasobscura.com to find some great unusual places while traveling? I've been having fun reading about some of the things they've located.
    Last edited by Andrew; 01-01-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Making URL clickable.

Slow Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
    Anybody else use www.atlasobscura.com to find some great unusual places while traveling? I've been having fun reading about some of the things they've located.
    I saw that piece on CBS this morning and want to check it out!

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Thank you for that - just had a very enjoyable half hour flicking about and will certainly return ! I also follow National Geographic on Instagram - the natgeo, the natgeotravel and the natgeophotograpy sites, which also throw up unexpected gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Thank you for that - just had a very enjoyable half hour flicking about and will certainly return ! I also follow National Geographic on Instagram - the natgeo, the natgeotravel and the natgeophotograpy sites, which also throw up unexpected gems.
    you can get a daily post from them with all kinds of odds and ends including travel ideas

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

That looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Isn't it a wonderful resource? I've found it particularly great for return visits to places when I want to dive deeper; or to learn of fascinating alternatives to better known sites that might be more enjoyable for being less crowded. The map function is useful in planning a day's itinerary. And since it's crowd-sourced, you can suggest additions!
    Amy in MA
    Destination Anywhere

"A traveler without knowledge is a bird without wings."--Sa'di, Gulistan (1258)

This is incredible, definitely gives me lots of ideas on where to go for my next holiday. Thanks for sharing!

Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Oh! I love this!! Thank you.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Happened on to it...

I just happened upon the site last week! I will definitely be using it for Italy, but also for our Far East trip this coming fall. Lots of treasures to be vetted from it. Wendy