Hadrian's Wall Walk

I am trying to plan a slow walk on the Wall path ( 8 to 10 days). I have looked at a few plans but all seen to start out with a 15 mile walk for this first day and then have shorter days. Are there places to stay in order to start out slow? Suggestions for a good reputable company to help with accommodation and baggage transport?

Slow Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin53 View Post
    I am trying to plan a slow walk on the Wall path ( 8 to 10 days). I have looked at a few plans but all seen to start out with a 15 mile walk for this first day and then have shorter days. Are there places to stay in order to start out slow? Suggestions for a good reputable company to help with accommodation and baggage transport?
    There are loads and loads of companies that will book accommodation, provide maps/guidebooks and transport your luggage, on various different patterns. I went with Contours for 3/4 days on the central (and most visually dramatic) part of the wall, and I don't think they had a long day among them. Other companies that do much the same sort of thing are Celtic Trails and Mickeldore.

Are those long initial days for the whole journey, to get you through the parts where there is less of interest? There is a rail service running to various points parallel to the wall, and bus AD122 running within a mile or so of it, so you could easily start as I did from somewhere near Hexham in the east, or Brampton or Carlisle in the west, or base yourself in Haltwhistle and walk up to the wall or use the bus to get to various points for separate day walks.

Here's my trip report and here's alpinista's

http://hadrianswallcountry.co.uk/
    My blog | My photos | My video clips
    "too literate to be spam"

As Patrick points out the first day from Wallsend to Heddon on the Wall isn't one of the more interesting stretches as you are walking through Newcastle and there isn't much of the wall left... This website gives details of what is still visible.
    http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.co.u...newcastle.html
    The most dramatic section is the bit from Sewingshields to Walltown.

If you are wanting to break up this first day, you could always plan an overnight in Newcastle.