Car rental return after listed time

I am returning a rental car the day I fly from Rome to Palermo. Alitalia has changed the time of the flight so I would like to return the car a couple of hours after the time listed in the voucher. Kemwel said that it isn't a problem as it is within the 24 hour time frame. Not that I don't believe them but I wanted to check with anyone who has done that. It would be more expensive to redo the rental so I would prefer not to but don't want to be dinged for another day when I return the car which would be even more expensive. Let me know if you've had experience of returning a car late.

Thanks, Linda

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Linda - I would check the terms and conditions included on the rental contract/voucher you received from Kemwel -- late returns could vary depending on what company your rental is actually through, as Kemwel is a broker. Look at the terms and conditions provided on the Kemwel website,
    Kemwel acts as a car rental broker for the contractor and as an agent for the client, and in no further capacity. Kemwel and its agents shall be discharged from all responsibilities once delivery of the car rental has been completed. Upon delivery of the rental car, the client will sign an agreement with the contractor who is actually providing the car rental and the conditions contained therein will prevail.
    I have heard that there is a one hour "grace period" when returning a rental car - but not a 24 hr grace period!

Hi TourMama,

Thanks for your reply. It wasn't a 24 hr grace period. Her logic was that the rental was for 24 hrs even though I wasn't using them so I had more time. She was incorrect (it sounded to good to be true) I checked back with Kemwel today. Also, I found the same rental with Kemwel for $1.+ more so made the change with the later dropoff. It always pays to check back for rates, as we've found in the past.
    Thanks, Linda

Moderator Premium Member

Slow Traveler
    Rentals can have different terms, but generally it's something like: if you get the car at 9 a.m. Monday, and say you'll return it at 5 p.m. Friday, you pay the same as if the return were 9 a.m. Saturday (leaving aside that a weekly rate might be better). I'm not sure of how often it's an issue that they were planning to rent out that car on Friday evening. So mostly, once you're over an hour into another day, you're charged for that full 24-hour period.

I have been stung by this in the past, it is always better to check the Ts & Cs in detail....especially in Italy.