Athens and Crete

Hi!

Maybe I can start some new life into this thread!

We are going to Athens (not the first time) and Crete (first time).

Anybody have suggestions?

I figure we can't be the only slow travelers going to Greece?

Slow Traveler
    It has been 2003 since the last time I was in Athens, but if I (when I) return, I will dedicate a full day just to walk the farmer's market downtown. Never have I seen so much beautiful food in one place. Ok, the fish market was a little intense for a summer day, but it was still over the top.

I never liked olives until we walked row after row in the market with each vendor swearing they had the best. They were all amazing!

Crete on my bucket list and I hope you blog or do a trip report (with lots of pictures).
    "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. - Emerson

Slow Traveler

We haven't been to Athens since the Acropolis museum opened, so need to get back! We loved just wandering around the Plaka, and make sure to spend some time in the Agora.

On Crete, Knossos is definitely worth the visit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    We haven't been to Athens since the Acropolis museum opened, so need to get back! We loved just wandering around the Plaka, and make sure to spend some time in the Agora.

On Crete, Knossos is definitely worth the visit.
    Thank you for replying!

The new museum is on our to-do list in Athens.

Also Knossos and the Archeological museum in Heraklion.

We have 4 nights in Athens and we will probably be quite jet-lagged, so we will mostly walk around. We were there for almost a week several years ago, but I am sure there have been changes.

Slow Traveler
    Just make sure you save time to pull up a chair at taverna, order some food and a bottle of wine and enjoy Greece. Some amazing food and as one of the tv food chefs says... Athens will be on that plate.

Have fun!
    "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Colo View Post
    Just make sure you save time to pull up a chair at taverna, order some food and a bottle of wine and enjoy Greece. Some amazing food and as one of the tv food chefs says... Athens will be on that plate.

Have fun!

thanks.

Which TV chef?

Slow Traveler
    I am pretty sure it is the bizarre foods dude Andrew Zimmern

Slow Traveler

Returning to Crete

Hi Sadielady,

We are returning to Crete for a 2nd visit later this year. We were there for 2 weeks back in 2013 - along with 5 days in Athens. We're skipping Athens this time & heading right to the island. We are spending 5 days on the east coast, near Paleocastro, a couple of days on the south coast in Paleochra & a week based in Chania. Crete is a great place to visit - wonderful people, excellent food, beaches & sites - lots of interesting day trips. Chania is a good base for much of the island. We have avoided Heraklion & have no plans to go to Knossos.